Slapping their hand?

Hubby and i have a nine month old little girl. She will be ten months in about a week. Hubby told me he wants to say no when she does something wrong (Which we already do) and then if she does it again, slap or tap her hand.

Ive been leary of this, so last night we discussed it. I said that i felt while she understands when i say no sometimes, she doesnt understand all the time. Actually she only seems to understand when i say no, not everyone else, maybe cause she is with me all the time.

So i felt that we should slap/tap her hand until we are certain that she understands what no means. He agreed and we decided not to slap her hand right now.

I just want to know what everyone else thinks about this.

Asked by Cmyfantasyworld at 1:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a doughter that is almot 10 months and when she does something wrong I pick her up look her in the eyes and say No in a deeper voice not a yelling voice and put her in the middle of the room. It seems to work because I am not giving her the attention she is trying to get when she is doing something wrong.

I think if you try hitting the hand even if it is gentle I think you confuse the child and they will grow to think hitting is OK.

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I think that's too young for the hand slap/tap. We didn't start that with my daughter until she was much closer to 2. Just keep repeating no. They need the repitition. If it doesn't work, remove her from the situation or distract her with something else.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I'm not against spankings (on the bottom), but I can tell you I don't agree with slapping a child hand, I think that anything other then a swat on the bottom is wrong, with ONE exception.

The one exception is this: The ONLY time I've ever slapped my child's hand is when they have reached for the stove/oven... If they reached for the stove/oven I would tell them NO, HOT and slap their hand. I figured it was better for them to get a slap on the hand by me then to get burned....They learned quickly then that the stove/oven was something to stay away from.

Everyone has different discipline styles....

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Children at that age have no real memory span. With our son, he didn't get the first taps until about 18 months, and that was only when he was doing something dangerous, like reaching for the stove, whether it was on or not. Around 2, we started implementing more consequences for behavior then NO.

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• She is to young to be slapped. Plus it will teach her that hitting is ok and she will start hitting you back. Then whats next, spanking her cause she hit you? She learned it from you! Good Luck.

• Thanks everyone. I felt it was too young and im glad i have gotten hubby to understand that. We already do say no and move her away from the object. She gets cranky about it, but she gets over it.

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 2:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• in parenting books they tell you that children do not comprehend "no" until the age of 18 months. I would suggest continuing to repeat yourself.

• with my own I did the No and smack the hand. With my grandkids I didnt. Biggest reason..I only say 'no' when it is risk of injury. Pretty soon they become desensitized to the word NO. You should save it so when you scream NO when they are reaching for the stove, darting in the street, whatever it is something that stops them in their tracks. I say theings like "leave that alone" or "donn't touch Grandma's whatever" there are lots of ways to say NO w.o the actual word.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i dont see anything wrong with it. its the neg consequence of doing something you arent suppose to. as soon as my daughter starts reaching for things, im going to start slapping her hand...
    im always going to tell her no first. and if she doesnt respond to my verbal command and continues on then im going to slap her hand... that way when she hears me say no... she will quickly learn that if she doesnt stop then the slap comes next. a baby can comprehend this as soon as she learned action reaction. this skill is learned at 3-6 months depending on the cognative development of the individual baby.

Answer by hendrickson at 4:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• my BFF has a 11 month old and she has been slappin her son's hand since he was 9 months and i don't like watching it. cause either he doesn't understand what going on or he needs a new way of learning.

personally i don't like to slap or spank and i only do when i think i HAVE to. at nine months old i would say NO in a firm voice and then just redirect my child. being consistant is a major must also!!

Answer by dannersmell at 4:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2008