Nephew's new baby brother drama

My sister has a two year old (will be three in october). She just recently has conner, their new little addition to their expanded family. My sister is with her boyfriend, not my nephews father. Ever since Conner came into this world Duston has been acting out very badly. He's normally a difficult kid (ie: throwing things across the room, biting, yelling, not listening, so on) Now with the new baby he acts out ten fold. He also picked up 4 day old baby conner. Thank god he wasn't injured. Anywho any advice for my sister?? She's been in tears because she cant "control" Duston. OH also Dustons biological father had a baby with his new girlfriend a month ago. I could only imagine how terrible and confusing this is formy nephew. Advice PLEASE!!!

shorty_18

Asked by shorty_18 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe it would benefit the mom and the child to enroll him in a GREAT half day preschool They can help him get the control he needs and give mom a tiny break!

He does sound like he is acting out b/c of what is going on in his life, maybe a preschool could give him a bit of security.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Make sure she spends time with her older son often. When people come to see the baby they need to address Duston first. Ask him how he is and then ask Duston if they can see his baby brother. Make sure that Dad is spending one on one time with the 3 y/o too because it looks like he is after attention, discipline is not going to help that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• can he be entered into a preschool so early?
    shorty_18

Comment by shorty_18 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Have her have him be a part of everything with the baby. Also have her tell him that he is his baby. You have to make him see the baby as his. Dont force him away unless you see that he means to harm the baby. Have him sit and hold him with Mommy and she can tell him you like your baby? This is your baby you have to be nice and love the baby (here i tell my 15 month old love love the baby) we dont hurt the baby. Have her have him help with the bottle and watch at the diaper table maybe even hand her the diaper or wipes. He has to be involved as much as possible. Another thing private Mommy time with out the baby there is a bonus for them both. They can bond let him talk about what he wants a just listen or play what he wants so he knows that baby is not there to take his place. I hope that this helps you guys out . HUGS AND KISSES TO YOU ALL.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• thats a great idea, i also suggested like a pediatric play therapy thing or getting him his own build a bear and when my sister changes the babies diaper he does the same with his bear.. Duston is very difficult.. he isnt patient at all and doesnt listen. (even before baby was born)
    shorty_18

Comment by shorty_18 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i would say to just try and spend as much time and include the 2yr in everything ,and they also have to let him know thats its not ok to act this way .they have to show him who the parents are .i hope things get better for her and her family .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Not sure why I was voted DOWN! The idea behind preschool is that sometimes parents CAN NOT give the kids everything they need, especially at such a challenging time.

Some kids need a more stiff discipline or routine that mom is not able to give.

So it is not a BAD idea. Maybe not for all, but for some!!!

Not only that, but if she had a break she might be able to gather enough strength to give him what he needs for the rest of the day!!!

YES there ARE 3 year old preschool classes :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010