How do you respond when you are always told you look skinny?

I have always been thin all my life thanks to genetics and keeping fit. The one thing that gets tiring is always being told I look so skinny or "gosh do you eat?". Or the neighbor will yell across the yard "look at skinny Minnie"! I'm always at a loss of words on how to reply. I see myself as normal size and when told I'm skinny, it makes me feel as if people think I'm anorexic or something.I certainly wouldn't go up to someone larger than me and say "my, you're looking large today". Anyone out there that's selfconsious about being thin?

lybra975

Asked by lybra975 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Health

• Yea I know..lol..My now mil used to say I was too skinny and that I was anorexic. I cant help it..But having kids has helped that out some
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I tell them they need to get some glasses! lol You should take it as a compliment, mainly because most women find being skinny something to strive for and I don't think they ever mean it as an insult:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• my mil used to say that is was too skinny and it looked like i never ate.....then i moved in with her son, and put on alot of weight and she tells me i am fat! So i can't win at all in her eyes!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I am not thin now, but back when I was in my early 20's when I was. A guy I met told me I needed to gain some weight. He thought I was to thin.

Answer by louise2 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• That's a problem lots of women wish they had. I have a genetic disease and used to be too thin before treatment. When I was breastfeeding (10 years) I would have problems keeping my weight up to 100. When I look at old pictures I looked anorexic.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I get that to and it is annoying. I'm confident in the way I look so I don't let comments like that bother me.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I used to feel the same way. I thought I was eating right and staying healthy and thought I looked good. Turns out that I WAS anorexic and it took years for me to get healthy. This may not be your situation at all, but I did want to throw that out there just in case. Most anorexics don't know that they are. When my husband took me to couseling, I even told my therapist that I was eating, because in my mind I was. I ate several times a day. They were meals to me. But looking back I realize I was eating like a bird, making normal size plates, but pushing most of my food around rather than eating it. My stomach shrank to accomodate my eating habits, so I never felt hungry or starved.

The skinnie minnie comment sounds cute and like your neighbor thinks you look well, but the "do you eat?" comments make me pause. Ask someone close to you if they feel you having an eating disorder.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My friend is like this too, naturally thin even after 2 kids! People constantly tell her shes too thin, she looks anorexic, she said after a while when people would be like, "You are too skinny" She would be like "Maybe your just too big" Lol, she said people got the point after a while, lol. GL momma
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• After I have had all my children I instantly drop back to my old weight. I have been 150 lbs since I was a teen. However most of it is muscle...... and after each child people will tell me they hate me cause I can loose my weight. I am not anorexic or bulimic or not caring for myself I just lucked out like you said. My mom has had five children she is not fat, my father was very tall and lean... I am shorter than I should be though lol cause I have scoliosis that is why I have always thought that I am fat actually lol but I am not...... Just ignore the comment's that they make cause you know you are doing what you should. I mean if someone told you, you look like a boy you wouldn't pay attention would you? Just think of that way lol ;D
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I wish I could know LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010