What would you do? Any creative suggestions on how to reduce the cost of this problem?

My DH is on comp right now because of a work-related injury. I have been picking up the slack by working 2 jobs. One job is 26miles away and the other is about 14 miles away. I manage to go to both these jobs (on different days) all week and fill my gas tank once/week (9.5 times out of 10). It cost me about $40-$45 each fill-up. My DH has an Ford F150, that I was COMPLETELY against buying, but of course, he got a wicked deal because he bought it when gas prices were highest and he used his disablity $. Now that he is not working, he doesn't have the company vehicle to use to go to school(work-related). He put $50 in the tank this past MONDAY, it's SATURDAY and he needs gas! I keep telling him that we can't afford $50-$70/wk for his truck. I just don't know what to do. I can't drive his truck because the seat won't move up anymore, so I don't like him taking my van to school.

JGRIMMER

Asked by JGRIMMER at 1:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Is there anyone close by that is taking the same class will be there at the same time he is? If so, maybe one day he can drive and the next day the other person could drive. You can also check on Craigslist for rideshares.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Sell the truck and buy something smaller.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Will he trade the truck in for something better on gas? Can you carpool any days of the week? How about a bus or trolley? Can you trade vehicles with someone else in the family sometimes and let him drive their car instead?
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 1:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• How long ago did he buy the truck? Is it possible to trade it in for something else or do you own a lot still on it? Try selling it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Just like his quad that sits in the basement, that needs to be fixed, he won't get rid of the truck. No one to carpool. I suggested the car thing. His parents are going on a trip for 2 weeks and they are going to put the car in a parking garage, when DH could ask if he can drop them off and pick them up and use the car, but he won't.
    JGRIMMER

Comment by JGRIMMER (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Is there public transit in your area?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• The only way is for your husband to make that final decision to get rid of that truck.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 29, 2010