How do you get a 7 year old boy to go #2 on the potty?

I have tried all sorts of bribes, or taking some favorite things away, and he still either goes to the basement, or outdoors, or anywhere he can do it in his pants. HELP.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• wow, i have never heard of a child doing that at his age unless there is some sort of trauma?? Maybe something is bothering him.
    Anonymous

• i'd ask him why he won't poop in the toilet.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 4:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• talk to his pediatrician or dr. There is probably something causing him to fear the bathroom?
    Anonymous

• I'd throw his butt in the cold shower and hose him off. At 7 years old he's WAY too old to be pooping in his pants. I'd also make him wash his own dirty pants, that would cure him real quick.
    Anonymous

• make him clean it. once the idea that he's gonna have to clean that up gets in his head, he'll quit. it worked for a friend of mine.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• yup make him clean it every time and he wont want to
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I asked my 7 year old boy and my 9 year old boy this question and they had no answer as to why a 7 year old would poop in his pants...in fact, they were totally surprised at my question. I would ask my pediatrician to help me out on this situation and this is not something that others should laugh about... some things are not laughing matters!
    pixieleedust

Answer by pixieleedust at 6:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• The bathroom is boring. Give him something to do and sit outside the door, in case he feels the urge and wants to make a run for it. I know it sounds a little weird but it worked for me. This problem is actually pretty common amongst boys.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• This is a hard question to answer. U might want to try giving him a book or something to read while he is sitting on the toilet.
    kerriwebb

Answer by kerriwebb at 6:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• my little brother did that until he was eleven. we had a pretty traumatic childhood. we watched our mother do all sorts of drugs and overdose a few times, then we moved to our dads into a house with 6 kids and all these rules that we never have had he was used to me taking care of him. when i finaly convinced my stepmom to take him to the doctor they said for a phsyciatrist to talk to him. the only thing that made him stop was having to clean it, talking with the doc. nd a few kids making fun of him in school, very embarassing. my dad used to ridicule him (he is a very hateful man) and it would only get worse.
    adamalory

Answer by adamalory at 2:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2009