payment not approved...embarrasing

Anyone ever go to pay for something at the store and have your card denied for lack of funds?
It happened to us today at Wal-mart. I felt like an idiot. Luckily there was no one else in line behind us so she voided our purchase and we had to put everything back but baby formula, bread and some tomatoes. We only had enough cash to pay for that. The stuff we put back were school supplies and a candy bar. (The total was only $32 but we only had $25 in cash.)
Sigh. We now have $4 to our name to last us until Friday (payday). We're not normally this bad off but we just moved and made a cross country trip (gas is expensive for a pick-up). Hubby's also on FMLA leave since we had a baby last month. He was supposed to have off until the 14th but will have to go back next week so he can work OT to pay the bills we can't pay because of the move.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 2:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm sorry that happened to you. I have had that happened once to me. I was lucky that some sweet person behind me was very generous and paid for our food and some personal items we had. I have since paid it forward and done the same thing.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Jeez... nearly all of your money went towards formula! If baby was just born last month, have you thought about relactating? You can't beat free milk!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I've never had been denied via credit card .

But I have been standing at the register literally counting out pennies to buy a loaf of bread. I have been at the with just a few items, some cash, and have to say "no, I won't be getting that right now".. Things like that, I have experienced more than once before.

I can't say that I've ever been embarrassed by it. But I have been humbled by those experiences. And now no matter how much money I may have, I realize that that's all it is. Just money. It will come and it will go. I don't need a large amount to get by, don't get me wrong it's nice. But I don't have to have it. I know I can survive without it.

Hang in there things will start looking up.. You just need a little time to recoup from your move :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• has happen to me before, it makes your stomach drop. its embarressing and hurtful. did you think you had the money in the bank? hopefully your account doesnt go into the negative. we once had our account 900 dollars in the negative because someone stole our debit card, it took a long time to get that straighten out.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yeah, it has.
    We were behind a couple at Walmart one day, they were buying baby stuff. She had gotten a gift card at her baby shower, and was told there was like $200 on it (maybe not that much). Well, there wasn't. Not even close. I want to say there was an odd amount on it. I don't think they had the money to pay for the things they got, they got a lot. They were mad, and I guess a little embarrassed. I felt bad for them. How could someone do that to someone else?
    Anywho, one thing you have to watch out for now is banks have had to change how they do things. Unless you have signed something saying your account can still be drafted, if it gets too low, you can't use your card. It's supposed to help keep you from going into overdraft. They were talking about it on HLN last week.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yeah its not so embarrassing when your the only one in line.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It is embarrassing. We had that happen in February when we moved. We used a UHaul truck and they charged the card when we dropped off the truck and charged the same amount in a "hold" when we picked it up. We didn't realize until we were at Walmart getting a couple things for the house that we had been charged twice. Luckily we didn't have that much stuff and had just enough cash to cover it. But we had to wait over a week for the hold to be released. Now I know, avoid Uhaul and if I HAVE to use them, don't give them my card. Apparently, that's their usual way to do business :-(
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I have not because I keep track of it pretty well, I have had to use a credit card though for things that should not be bought with credit card. I am embarassed when I do that s well.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• yes and I have had a person behind me pay for my items and also had to count out pennies. I don't get embarressed, but I do get to feeling a bit uneasy. I start to think about the people behind me getting annoyed whe I take a long time.
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 3:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• yes....it is a horrible feeling. but let it roll off your back like a duck...I have been know to craiglist something to sell that day to get enough money to get thru....

you can do anything~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010