At what age can a child ride in a top-down car?

My father has a convertible and wants to take my 20 month old and me for a ride. She rides rear facing. Is there a minimum age for children to ride in top down vehicles?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DH and a friend of his took DD on a ride in a convertible when she was under a year- the top was down. She loved the way the wind felt in her hair. I would say if he is a safe driver and will be in a less traveled, safe area it should be fine.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If you do go for a ride sit right next to your child!
    My dd is 12 and I drove a convertible when she was 10. But she sat right next to me in the front seat.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No, there isn't a min. age. As long as she is strapped in right, she will be fine.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would think that it's fine, as long as the driver is safe, and she is properly restrained in her carseat.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No minimum age for riders in a convertible. They just MUST be properly restrained in either the correct carseat for the age and state or if older - seatbelt.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I agree with the other posters - if your child is properly buckled into a properly attached carseat, there is no safety issue.

I wanted to add, however, that it is NOT SAFE for any child under the age of 13 to sit in the front seat of ANY car with an airbag, and it is especially dangerous for children in rear-facing carseats to be in the front seat of a vehicle with an airbag. You probably already know this, but I just wanted to make sure it was said! :)
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 2:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My daughter has ridden in the backseat of my mom's convertible a few times. I think it would be better to rear face than forward face though. The wind was all up in her face FF. Maybe RF would be better.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2010