If there was no bible...

If there was no bible, could Christianity still exist, or PROGRESS?

Would you still be a Christian? Or would you have become a Christian w/ the help of the scriptures?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 2:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Christian, so no, I wouldn't be then either! lol! But do I think Christianity would still exists? Yes. Just not in the form we have now. Christianity existed and grew prior to the completion of the Bible, so there is no reason to think it wouldn't have continued to had the Council of Nicaea never convened... However it's path would have been quite different, as would it's affect on those around it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes, it would have still gone on. I think it would be very different tho, and many more little sects believing different things, even more so than now...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Why not.. The Vedas were not written down but handed down orally for a very long time. And look how long Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism) has been around.. Thousands of years, there is neolithic proof of the religion..It's the worlds oldest living religion.. It has survived through belief and practice..

So even with out the actual written down Bible. I think if belief and the practice of Christianity was strong and continued. That yes, the religion could still survive without the actual Bible.

I can't say that I would practice it. Because I am not a Christian. But I do believe that those who are devout believers, would still believe because that religion has touched them, speaks to them, and is their chosen path for their own reasons. Those things run deeper than reading from a book.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No I don't think it would. If there was no book then there would be no proof of a set of rules and therefore it would mutate into thousands of different religions.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 2:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It's hard to say. I'm a Universalist, with a lot of Christian beliefs and values. I don't believe what a lot of people do about the Bible. I'm sure some of it is accurate, but I believe that some of it is not. I also don't believe that a person has to follow the Bible in order to be in touch with God. Honestly, I have no idea how the world would be different if there were no Bibles.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• very good question........interesting
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 2:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It wouldn't look anything like it does now - if anything it would be closer to the denominations like Santeria than Presbyterian.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• the world would be a more peaceful place
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes there would still be passed down traditions and beliefs...Though even then it would eventually get written down by someone or multiple someones but may not be called 'the Bible'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes I would still be Christian. IMO opinion Christianity true Christianity (not saying no body is an untrue Christian) Is in your heart and a relationship with God. It is not in a book of history.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2010