im coming to the realization that i suck at keeping the house clean!`

so really, what kind of routine works best for you? how do you keep your kids from following you around messing things back up? i cant get into a good routine that works, plus if i dont feel good for one day and only get some done its 10 times as messy as usual. my 8 year old helps, mt four year old doesnt yet. and my 12 and 7 year old dont live here all the time so its hard to get them into routines here. i dont know what to do anymore!
NO MY HOUSE ISNT FILTHY. ITS NOT UNSANITARY, JUST THRASHED ALL THE TIME. HELP!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 2:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• check out the fly lady.com
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'm right there with you. Tried flylady? I think I need to try her again...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i feel the same way it always seems like a ton needs to be done and the kids dont help i have a 1 and 4 year old and it seems like they walk behind me and mess it all up again. and it soesnt help that we are remodeling either.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i suck at it too cuz i hate it! lol, i just push myself through it and my kids have jobs too. they are four and six. they have things they have to keep clean and that helps me
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• LOL... lovinangels loves the fly lady! Step one, don't take an antihistamine in the morning... its 2:24 in the afternoon and this crazy witch is in a stupor and can't seem to function at all!

It really sounds to me like you might need to set some ground rules. All four of your kids can help you! My 5 year old loves to help.  I make him a list, when he completes each item he checks it off the cleaning list and dusts... he will even get the bissell natural sweeper out and do the rugs!

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I totally get it. It's hard!!

I'm glad your 8-year-old helps, but I think your four-year-old can help too. My daughter is 2 and we try (keyword is "try") to pick up toys that she is not playing with at the moment. She helps me unload the dishwasher and dryer as well. It also helps me to have different toy "stations" in the house. We have a big toybox by the front door, my end tables by my couch are stuffed with toys in the drawers, under their bed is a drawer of toys, and then there's a play room for the bigger toys. So there are plenty of places to put toys back to where they are out of sight.

At the end of the day, after the girls have gone to bed, I do a last sweep around the house to pick up other unsightly items.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well if it helps, I'm in the same boat lol. I think I'm going to try out this " fly lady" thing. Good Luck!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• big smile miniThats why they say a mothers work is never done..Not meaning that we don't do anything but that it's just never done.. it's a never ending battle

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would put those kids to work and make sure before they left one room it was picked up before going to another one.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My daughter helps me. She's learned that there's more time for fun activities together after the cleaning is done! I just do about an hour of housework every single day whether I feel like it or not, and then usually another hour out in the garden (especially right now, as my garden is just overflowing with veggies!) Tomorrow I'll have to put in some time canning and freezing!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010