Should fathers of the unborn have a choice too?

It seems there has been a lot of talk on here about the choice for woman...it takes a man and a woman to conceive so I am wondering if the man's choice is ever considered? What if the man doesn't want an abortion...should he be allowed to be able to take full parental rights of that unborn child? or is it that just because a woman's body is set up for pregnancy and birth that men are automatically denied a choice? What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• That is one of the best questions I have read on here. But I also think this one will get mixed responses. I don't know if I have a good answer for you. I would think the father should have every right to be able to father a child help make. But then you would get into a woman's right and then it gets sticky....good question though..
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 12:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• *he helped make*
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 12:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think the male involved should have a say, it would be nice if more would step forward. One of my daughters friends just had an abortion, the father is with someone else and he got her pregnant also. I believe I know of one instance a male stepped forward and said he wanted the child.

peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 12:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• While I see your point, the problem I have with it is that if the man doesn't want her to have an abortion, says he'll take the baby, etc., and then after she goes thru the pregnancy, he changes his mind or disappears. I realize she could still put it up for adoption, but what if she doesn't? Then there's a risk of that child being abused or neglected b/c she didn't want it to begin with. It opens a whole new set of laws that would need to be made about how a man would have to go about getting rights, setting up safeguards to keep him from changing his mind or disappearing, and making things so complicated that then we risk women never even telling the man she's pregnant just to avoid the situation. Also, I think in trying to give a man the right to a choice, it could infringe on a woman's right. Even though right now her choice infringes on his. I don't know. It's complicated. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think that before a woman can be allowed to have an abortion the father should have to sign saying that he approves, and that there has to be proof that the male signing is the father of the child. Also that the father should have to be present for the abortion. You know that men wouldn't be wanting to do the second thing, and there would be a lot less of them happening.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• we make a lot of choices and compromises when we chose to have sex. men don't have to worry about getting pregnant, physically. in exchange for this, they lose some of the ability to affect the pregnancy they do risk. they don't have to carry the baby, therefore they do not get the ultimate choice. life's not fair. its a risk you chose to accept when you take it out of your pants.
    while I do think men deserve some input, the chance to ask the woman for the child - the ultimate choice belongs to the keeper of the vessel.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Well said teri4lance.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 1:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think the father should have some say
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• It's too easy for men to just disappear; therefore, I don't think they should have any choice. Until they are able to carry and birth a baby they should have no say. It's too easy for them to say "yeah, I'll take the baby once it's born" and not take responsibility.

Has anyone thought about the possibility that the pregnant woman may harm her baby while pregnant if the father says "keep it, I want it"? It's a pregnancy she didn't want, why should it bother he to go out drinking every night? She won't have to take care of a baby born with FAS.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I am pro-choice and I do think that the father should have a say. I do also think that he should have to pay any costs associated with the birth and the upbringing of the child. After the birth, if the mother still decides that she would like to give up her rights to custody and parenthood, that is her decision. As long as teh father is able to pay for the upbringing and labor costs, they should also have a say.
    mscottsmom

Answer by mscottsmom at 1:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2008