How can I convince my husband to let me get a hamster?

I had one a few months ago but it died a few days after I bought it. My husband won't let me buy another because before the hammie died our son was playing with the wheel in his cage during the afternoon (hamster's are nocturnal) and the crabby hammie bite him pretty bad. It was my fault though. I mean duuh, I shouldn't have let him play with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Pets

• My first thought it is really need permission to get a pet? My second thought...I don't blame him after the other one bit your child. Your an adult if you want one, get one. =)
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 2:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'm bad I guess..lol..I'd just get it
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I gotta side with your hubbie on this sorry.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Gee I don't know.... I can think of about a hundred things I would buy before I would buy a hamster. And yes... almost all of them bite. I wouldn't let my kids one.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'm not a very big hamster fan... They bite, run away, escape... Rats are much better pocket pets especially with kids. SOme people just can't get past the 'tail issue' lol. Seriously though they are very very sweet and social.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I have been trying to convince my Hubby to let me get a cat. But we have 2 dogs and they would hate it. But I really want a cat.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If I waited for my DH's permission, I wouldn't have my puppy, LOL. So you can either get the hamster and hope he's ok with it, or keep begging him and hope he says yes.

Now no hamsters in this house either, not for many years, when my son is older, if he wants one. I have two cats, one would make a meal of it in a heartbeat for sure.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• To the first poster, I don't think she needs permission, but a family pet should definitely be a group decision....man would I be ticked if DH brought home an animal without consulting me first. That being said, if your son can't play with it, what do you want it for anyway? I am not a big fan of any caged animals. I'm with your husband, especially since the first fiasco. How did the first one die anyway?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Umm..you go to the store and you buy another hamster..that's convincing enough, isn't it. Not once have I asked for "permission" to get a pet. I'm the one who takes care of it/them, not him, so he has no say.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 2:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I will say that our second cat joined our family without my husbands approval. But our first cat - according to the vet - was suffering from depression from going to a barn cat with lots of other cats to a house cat alone for 10 hours a day. So I just got the second kitten on the way home from the vet. But in all fairness, cats don't bite (generally) are way less time consuming in their care than a hamster, the cat won hubs over all on his own by sleeping on his chest every night. It would be hard for a hamster to do that....
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2010