What was the rudest thing you heard in church?

Our female priest likes to mention how cosmetic surgery will not do anything but change your appearance.

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 2:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I was very, very young the pastor at the church my mom was attending gave his sermon about how all the soldiers fighting in the Gulf were going to burn in hell. She got up and walked out, then never went back. She didn't realize that I remembered it happening until we were talking about it not too long ago. But that moment has stuck in my mind and I'm still proud of my mom for what she did.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I had the deacon of the church ask me not to bring my autistic son to church, as his arm flapping , body rocking and feet stomping was distracting, but please continue to bring him to Sunday School as they were hoping that the teacher of his class would quit.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• The rudest thing I ever heard in a Church was being asked to leave because I was not welcome and did not belong there.

This happened many years ago at a Southern Baptist Church when I went to Church with a dear friend. I dressed like I normally would for worship ( I was young, and still dressed pretty traditionally for worship. I was wearing a sari/head covered, etc.) I left. No skin off my nose. I have no desire to be any place where I'm not welcome.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• When I was 15 I ran away from home and went into a mental ist. for like 3 days then out patient. I had been out completely ( in and out care) for a month or so when I signed up to go n the church ski trip for high schoolers. The Preacher came to my house to tell me and my parents I wasn't allowed to go because I had run away and I was a risk. WE never went back to that church and we had been going for years. Way to support a kid that was finally on the right track.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• The preacher told me and xh (while we were going through pre-marital counseling) that I would either abort my unborn child or not get married in HIS church. xh and I met in that church, I had been attending there well before he became our new pastor...

My dad's pastor (white, middle aged man) gave a sermon on the sins of interracial relationships - his piano player was a white woman married to the deacon - a black man.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• one of the ushers was giving a bulletin to someone who didn't get one, and a comment was made, and I *think* he said oh he's retarded anyway. If I had better hearing there would have been a tornado in church that day! needless to say I don't go there anymore. I also attended a service where the Ass. pastor got up and did what was on his mind before the sermon got started, That was when Gay men wanted to be bishops or something or another, and he was in an uproar about that. Well MY God and interpretation of the bible is that I am not suppose to JUDGE and I am suppose to LOVE EVERYONE. Yeah haven't been back there either...
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 2:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I had my preacher tell my friend that hte military was no place for females....but he didn't say shit when I told him i was enlisting....she would have been sooo much better off if she had enlisted, but she listened to that ass and didnt
    Stephanie808

Answer by Stephanie808 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• this was in church during the greeting time
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Lahy! That's horrible.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I agree with your female priest, and I don't find that to be rude. Honestly, I can't think of anything rude that I've heard in church, but then again, I don't attend regularly.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2010