birthday party advice

I'm having a b-day party for my 2 daughters together. They are going to be 11 and 1. We are having it at a local Chuck e cheese type place.
Here are a few questions:

Do you send thank you notes after? I've seen ppl who hand out a "generic" type thank you note with the goodie bags at the end. Is any other this necessary? If so, what is best?

How long should one of these parties last? What order should everything happen? Play, eat, play, open presents, cake????

How many kids is too many to invite?

I'm thinking about having 2 cakes. One big one for everyone, which will have the theme that my older daugther wants. The second will be an individual cake for my 1 year old to destroy for pics. Any other suggestions or ideas?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 2:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ya I guess thank you cards would be nice. I tend to just say Thank you to them when they are physically at the party. My memory is so bad, I'd forget or put off doing cards until after it was really too late.

Thats mostly for the moms who came. The dads won't be looking for any further communication from you and the kids (the actual party guests) won't care if you thank them, they are there for your kids, not you.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:23 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• the problem with giving generic ones is that it isn't personalized, for thank yous I like to send a picture of my child playing with the item or wearing it, etc. that way the guests also get a photo of a cute little one.

usually I have birthday parties about five hours. Do the cake before presents, with kids you dont want too much structure, i would do Play eat, cake, presents, play this also gives them a chance to play with some of the toys they recieved, especially family members love to know they got something the kids will like.

it really depends on how much you want to spend, your 1 year old isn't really going to have a lot of guests, let the 11 year old pick 10 friends, a lot of times some kids don't make it, that way your child is not disappointed with a small outcome.

have your smaller one fit the same theme. that way things match, your 1 year old will not care.

what theme are you doing?
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 3:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• my 10 year old wants "big time rush".
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2010