Why is so hard to get back into the rythem of the learning process when you start back in school after being gone from there for so long?

I currently just finished my first week of college it is the first time I have been in school since I graduated high school in 2003 it seemed like the entire week was so new after being out of school for seven years I could not understand why it was so confusing to me.

madwoman41731

Asked by madwoman41731 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in

• Your brain is like a muscle.

For example, if you do a lot of running for exercise, your leg muscles will get used to working that way, and running won't be difficult for you. But when you switch to doing squats, your muscles will NOT be used to that and it will be really tough at first until your muscles get used to it!

So, your brain is the same way; it is used to working a certain way, processing information a certain way, etc. Now that you are back in school, you will have a tough time until your brain gets used to those "mental exercises" and gets used to thinking the school way again! :)
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 3:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I graduated high school in 2004 and I just finished my first semester of college this summer semester. My fall semester starts in a few days. The first week or two wasn't easy for me. Most my classes weren't too bad, but that damn computer class was daunting. It was intense! It taught how to write computer code and to build one, etc. I knew nothing about it! Reading the textbook was like reading Arabic. After about 2 weeks I found it just clicked. I read a lot of non-fiction and the types of things I read benefited me when it came to my other classes, but not this one. It was a whole new way of thinking and learning that I hadn't experienced in a long time. I think it just takes a while to get your brain used to working in certain ways again. I feel like at our age we're right at the cusp of losing some potential. Good thing we're back in school!! haha.. I'm sure you'll do great. Took me a while but I got a 4.0!
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 6:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i agree, if you don't use it you may lose it... so even if not in school, you should do things to challenge your brain!
    asil

Answer by asil at 4:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I went back to school after being out for 10 years. Unless you use you brain to learn on a regular basis it can be hard at first especially when it comes to book learning. Many students have a hard time just having the summer off from school.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It's the discipline aspect of studying and routine of it all. You also have to look at in a positive way. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010