My daughter doesn't eat meat....

and she's only 21 months old. I just don't get it. She will pick the hamburger out of her hamburger bun, wont eat chicken nuggets, wont eat meatballs. The only things she'll really eat is mac and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, pb&j.... stuff with no meat! Anyone else have this problem?

KrazyKutie

Asked by KrazyKutie at 3:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is similar. He refused to eat all meat but I have slowly got him eating different things. He will eat fresh rotissary chicken now, it has more flavor and is quick and easy to chew.
    He refuses to eat beef, I have got him to eat ground turkey and veggie patties..
    Try different things, like different preparations and meats. Try ground turkey or chicken instead of beef, put ground meet in the mac and cheese, try all beef hot dogs or all chicken.
    I would suggest going to the gorcery store by yourself and take the time to look at all your different options. Even try a store like Trader Joes, Fresh & Easy, or Whole Foods. There are many meat less proteins or different options she can try.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 3:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My son is not a meat eater. He would much rather have a pile of lettuce or raw cucumbers!

I offer it to him, I dont force him though.

I just make sure he eats protein in his beans and such :) You didnt mention any veggies. What about peas or mashed potatoes or carrots?

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My daughter was like that too... She is 18 now and still does not eat meat. She would eat everything else on her plate but the meat was still there..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• As long as she's getting her protien then don't worry too much. I've always been told taste buds every 7 years so give her time. She is getting protein with the peanut butter.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My daughter is fifteen and doesn't eat meat; I haven't eaten meat in over thirty years.

This article may make you feel better: http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vegetarian_kids.html

Feel free to contact me with any questions!!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My daughter hasn't ate meat since she was 2 and she's almost 3 now. I still put it in front of her but I always just give her extra veggies
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Not yet..
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 3:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My daughter did that too and still does most days. She is 4.5 years old. I just upped her veggies and still gave her some meat, it was just cut up very small. A doctor told me it could be because it takes too long to chew it up so, she just gave up. She eats a little more meat but, still doesn't eat a lot of meat.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes, my son (Now 23mo) wouldn't eat meat for the longest time. Not even pureed. Then he'd eat the sausage in Speghetti, Kilbasa in Jumbalya, etc. His pediatrician said it is perfectly normal and perfectly fine as long as he's getting other nutrient rich foods. Just make sure that she's getting plenty of iron and other things meats have from other foods. She'll be okay. She'll either eventually grow to like it or she'll never eat it, either way it's okay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Hmmm okay these are all great suggestions. And she loves fruits and veggies. so she eats those. She even ate most of her dads refried beans last night. I'll try different kinds of meats and see how that goes. Thanks all for your advice.
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2010