Why is it that...

People like Pagans or Witches get more respect on this site then Muslims? It makes no sense to me because Muslims believe in God and are God fearing/respecting people, but Pagans, Wiccans and Athiets do not believe...Can u explain this to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't why people can't get the same respect no matter what religion. I don't think any one should be put down because the belive differant then you.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Can you give an example of why you feel that way? I don't see that, at least not in the religious section. EVERYONE gets beat down at some point here, no matter their religion.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I honestly think it's because of how some Muslims have been linked to terrorist attacks but Wiccans and Pagans haven't.

It's sad, but it's true. The majority of American people have been scared into believing things that just aren't true.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'm sorry to say that your question itself is somewhat offensive. Wiccans and Pagans DO beleive, and therefore should not be grouped together with Atheists as people without a higher power. Second, your question implies that because you are a Muslim and therefore God fearing/respecting you should have more standing in the Cafemom community and be immune to the bashing that insues. If that were the case, then the Wiccans and Pagans, who are God loving/respecting people in their own right, should have just as much peace around here as everyone else, and if THAT were the case, you answered your own question to begin with. We all get bashes on here, it just hurts worse when it's closer to you.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• OP here-
    mamapotter-I am sorry that you feel like I was being offensive, but my point was that Muslims, Jews and Christians are all people of Abraham. Many of these religions say that they dont believe in pagan holidays etc, so if that was the case why dont they be more civil towards each other because we all stem from the same branch or Abraham.Not saying dont be civil to other as well, but you would think that since we all steam from the same place we would be more understanding towards eachother.. Instead Christians etc always go on Muslim questions and say to turn to Jesus, or what you believe is wrong,or they will just be totally disrespectful. etc. Mostly in ANON form.
    Dustermommy-if you read some of the questions from the past from Muslim moms you will see some examples in the answer section. Pls go back to some of the closed questions and you will be able to see what I mean.
    Anonymous

• I didn't say that Muslims aren't sometimes "abused" on this site - just that they aren't more abused than other religions.  I know which posts you are referring to, and I've been on CM long enough to know that they usually come in spurts.  Sometimes it's Christians "attacking" Atheists, sometimes vice versa.  One day last week there was no less than five questions that caused Jehovah's Witnesses to be "attacked", and I believe yesterday Mormon's were a topic.  I would imagine it seems like Muslim's get more grief because it's a personal topic for you, just like I would imagine it is easier for you to overlook the crap that said about other religions....

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• OP here-Actually I am not Muslim, this was just a casual noticing on my part. Thanx for answering :)
    Anonymous

• To be completely honest I don't think it has anything to do with CafeMom... Pagans today are not seen as scary or threatening... Unfortunately many people think Muslim and the first thing to come to mind is the extremists. They are scared because all you hear on the TV is how terrible Muslims are and how they abuse and shelter their women. People today don't want to hear or see the truth of the religion. They group all in with the loud mouth and often heard from crazy guy. Today that crazy guy happens to be Muslim and in some recent cases Mormon... People here these words and automatically thing oppression, abuse, terror and so on... They don't look at the people themselves or even the religion... They base their opinions on negative news reports and stories... I can assure you that if the media would keep their mouths shut about the few bad apples things as a whole would change...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I also feel that this is a rather bias question. As a pagan I know I have been bashed quit a many times for my beliefs or view here on CafeMom. I would hope that the Muslims, Jews and Mormons would not have to endure some of the messages I have received as they are pure hate! I personally try to see thing from the person's point of view and try not to assume that because someone is a member of any certain religion they are bad... However I have run in to a number of terribly nasty women on here, most of which were christian although IMO were not living the Christian lifestyle as they should be or they never would have spoken to me the way they did. Today's world is so full of grey and yet so many people see things as black and white...

• I also feel that the number of Muslims on here is part of the issue. There are very few and only a small portion of them ever jump in to some of the conversations. So once again they are seen as, excuse this, "the odd ball out". They may have the same belief as 5 million others but if they are the only one speaking on a poll or question they are seen as different. While many of the few pagans here have a tendency to speak up, giving them a little more clout.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2008