How can I lock large toys outside on my patio?

So we moved into apartments. We have a pretty large patio with a nice, large expanse of grass. However, there is no fence.

We have a few large toys that we want to keep outside (a climbing slide structure, a rocking elephant, etc.) and are looking into getting other large toys such as a playhouse for Christmas.

Does anyone know of any good tips on how to possibly look these large toys to where people can't steal them? My mom suggested a bike chain with a bike chain lock but I'm not exactly sure where to throw the chain around. My DH suggested a stake in the ground but wouldn't the people just be able to lift the stake so it's not longer locked to the ground? LOL!

Right now we are taking them in and out of the house each day and night but that's getting real tiring LOL.

Honeybun09

Asked by Honeybun09 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Could you get a cheap storage shed? Or a big tarp to put over them?
    arkmomma06

Answer by arkmomma06 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't think theres a lot you can do at an apartment besides what your doing or trusting no one will take them. You can't exactly cement things at an apartment. lol. maybe get a storage shed on your patio? They have ones you buy that are like 6 ft, 8 ft 10ft.. Etc. Maybe put your things in there and lock that. =)
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• padlock and a chain ... preferably attached to the structure of the building in some way (I'd be looking at things like porch rails and the like) although if someone really wants to steal them, they could use a bolt cutter.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Anyone know of a good place for small sheds? I like to compare prices online and see what kind of dimensions I will need before going to the store! I work 45 hours a week so shopping in RL is really hard. I like to look online then go get what I found or just order it online.
    Honeybun09

Comment by Honeybun09 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Check out amazon!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would suggest a storage shed as well. Or some sort of Bin with a lid that they could fit into.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• some kind of cheap storage
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• http://www.shedsforlessdirect.com/products/brentwood-arrow-storage-shed-p-230.html%20

The above link is a 5' x 4' storage shed. We live in a condo and have a patio on the back as well. We have never had any problems with people stealing our stuff, but we did have a few problems with some kids playing on my son's things. I don't mind, but I just need to know that they are out there in case they get hurt. Kwim? My son is 5 and all he has out there now is smaller toys so we have a storage box. This might be something you would be interested in for smaller toys- http://www.shedsforlessdirect.com/products/lifetime-deck-storage-p-258.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2010