If breast feeding can you drink a beer?

I have been told so many different things. Any moms on here that have done it or are doing it?

motherofpearl3

Asked by motherofpearl3 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never did, but I've heard its possible. I would ask your doctor. My birthing classes taught us about it, but I don't remember all the info. I think you can have one or two, and then pump and dump, or wait six hours.. Some thing like that, again I never did it, so I'm not 100% on that answer! lol
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well I'm currently giving my DD both breast milk and formula. So if I drink I can just give her formula instead of my taquila tasting boobs.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Plus, next week is my birthday and it will be the first time I can drink in almost a year so I'm gonna damn it!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• "Save to drive, safe to nurse"

Feed your baby, have a beer, wait 2 or 3 hours and your ok to feed your baby again.
    No pump and dump needed (as long as its just one beer)

ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Of course you can! You can have a couple! In fact, beer (not other alcohols) is good for your milk supply...particularly dark beers (its the yeast in it). I actually drank a beer every night for the first couple of months of breastfeeding to increase my supply...and it helped tremendously.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes. My PERSONAL rule is 1-2 drinks, nurse. More then that, 2-3 hrs per drink.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes you can. As others have said, sober enough to drive sober enough to nurse. Enjoy your beer!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 6:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You can have a beer or2 once in awhile, the yeast is actully good to boost your milk. Don't stress to much and don't listen to people who try and make you feel bad for stuff.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Like PP said, safe to drive, safe to nurse. So it really depends on a number of things - your weight, whether or not you've eaten with your drink, etc.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Oh my! That is a good question. I do agree with many of the other mothers here that of course you can. In my opiniion i think that you should save up enough breast milk for a day or so before you do it, but if you have a night out and you would like to enjoy a beer or two just store up for the next three feedings and pump to keep the flow
    ohmama23

Answer by ohmama23 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2010