So then where is the stimulus going...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129485742

NPR story this morning on government corruption in IL, some of the story is entertaining (in a sad and pathetic sort of way), but this part caught my eye:

"In Illinois, it hits taxpayers hard. He has calculated that the cost of corruption in dollars in Illinois is about $500 million a year.
That amount is lost in revenue to waste, corruption, patronage, in payoffs and in faulty contracts, he says."

If that much is draining out annually under normal circumstances, how much of the stimulus money that went to IL followed?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• None......The entire stimulus pkgs thing and bail outs REALLY pisses me off. I really think it pisses off a LOT of people. And yes, before some of you ask, it pissed me off JUST as much when Bush did it! I think there are a TON of loopholes and WAY too much pork for any of that money to be kept track of!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• That should be*** in any of those BILLS for the money to be kept track of.
    momof030404

• This question reminded me, We have radio ads in Michigan for welfare telling how much money they are giving away to people in Detroit and to call to see if you can get some too.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We have radio ads in Michigan for welfare telling how much money they are giving away to people in Detroit and to call to see if you can get some too.

No matter who replaces the moron after the election, I honestly don't know what you guys are going to do - is there ANYTHING starting up there to replace jobs yet? We at least have an electric engine plant coming online soon and a few of the RV places that emptied out have some small businesses going in. It's not going to make a dent for a few years, but 5 or 6 down the road it will help.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yeah TARP began during Bush's administration. Do we all know the reality of this or do we just hate the idea of spending money. (My In-laws were conservative and extremely cheap. They died with a quarter of a million dollars in the bank because they wouldn't spend any on the,sleves or on their kids...they were afraid to enjoy ther lives, kept on saving and didn't use their money.) THAT is what the conservatives are doing now...being cheap Cheap cheap cheap. And heaven forbid that we help anyone. Keep those dollars in your bank account. Yah.
    The economy will eventually come back...it always does. Spending now will keep people in business.Banks are paying back their TARP funds. Homes will sell. Their worth will increase. Companies will hire...but they would go out of busuness without some kind of financial help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• "Yeah TARP began during Bush's administration. Do we all know the reality of this or do we just hate the idea of spending money. (My In-laws were conservative and extremely cheap. They died with a quarter of a million dollars in the bank because they wouldn't spend any on the,sleves or on their kids...they were afraid to enjoy ther lives, kept on saving and didn't use their money.) THAT is what the conservatives are doing now...being cheap Cheap cheap cheap. And heaven forbid that we help anyone. Keep those dollars in your bank account. Yah.
    The economy will eventually come back...it always does. Spending now will keep people in business.Banks are paying back their TARP funds. Homes will sell. Their worth will increase. Companies will hire...but they would go out of busuness without some kind of financial help."

Interesting response....... Why post anon?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2010