What To Do?

My ds is 16 months old. Whenever anyone goes to put him in his carseat, he starts to scream, grabs thier shirt, hair or face, arches his back,throws his head back and bends his legs under him. I am worried he is going to hurt himself at times. How do I get him to stop this or make it better for him? He has never had any bad experiences

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 3:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hmmm. Maybe try giving him something to hold, like a hot wheel, or something.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My DD started throwing tantrums when we would put her shirts on in the morning. She was this age give or take a couple months.

It sounds to me like a good old fashioned tantrum. If he does thrash around to where he hurts himself, he won't do it much longer unless he notices it makes you coddle him.

My DD just woke up one morning and was through being paranoid about putting shirts on. I know it's a hard phase to ride out, but stay steady and don't cave in. He does have to be in his carseat and you don't have to give him attention when he throws a fit- Turn up the radio! :)
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Could it be that he isn't comfortable in the car seat and you may have to try another one. Do you have a friend that has a different car seat that you could try and see if your son will react differenly if that doesn't work then give something to hold.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Little children don't like to be confined and when they are in the car seat they are strapped in. However, is the strap too tight and that could be a problem., maybe.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2010