Has anybody heard about giving kids under 6 years of age cold medicine?

I heard from some parents that my kids go to school with that they heard on tv that we are not supposed to give kids under the age of 6 cold medicine at all. Have any of you heard about it? Please let me know because i have 2 sick kids here at home.

2NELILANGELS

Asked by 2NELILANGELS at 1:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Health

• Just stick with tylenol and a cold air humidifier. Your kids will be fine and it hurts you more that it hurts them when they don't feel well. I think its ridiculuous that after all these years it's all of a sudden be an issue. It wasn't a problem when we were growing up. I think that all of the teen moms play a big part (no offense). They are still kids themselves and don't always know proper dosing.
    Anonymous

• No your not supposed to give kids cold meds. Only Tylenol. Try a non medicated vaporizerplug in. They work great. Or for a dry nose you can use a saline solution spray mist, but nothing with meds in it

Frogger33

Answer by Frogger33 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I herd that the other day on the news,,,but I thought it was kids 4 and under,,,I could be wrong...That cold medicine doesnt get rid of colds anyway I only used it at night so thay can sleep better

Answer by louise2 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My doctor said it was okay for me to give my daugher Benadryl. I know it's not a cough medicine but sometimes it's works for sneezes and runny noses. I'm not sure about using it in combination with Tylonol. I would ask my doctor.

I''ve also heard that before they go to bed, you can rub vapo-rub on their feet and cover with socks. I haven't tried it, but apparently it works wonders! good luck
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 4:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I have heard that BS before. However, I give my son decongestant when he needs it because if I don't I end up having to break out his albulterol and I hate giving him that. His pedi knows I give decongestants when he is stuffed up and he doesn't say anything. And my son is only 2.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2008