How would I begin formula if I am breast feeding and want to do both?

I am currently strictly breast feeding but want to start formula as well. How would I begin and what are your opinions on it?

motherofpearl3

Asked by motherofpearl3 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I alternated every other feeding. I would nurse, then for the next meal, give formula, then nurse, then formula.

I started with 4 oz of formula (assuming you have a newborn). I did not nurse long though. Just to the first 3 months was the longest I nursed.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My son is 7 weeks did you have to pump in between?
    motherofpearl3

Comment by motherofpearl3 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• what was easier for me was letting hubby (or whoever else was around) feed the baby the formula bottle. I had one heck of time convincing baby to take the formula, baby knew I had the good stuff ;o) LOL

to keep your supply up, you'll want to pump in between the breast feedings. I had bad luck with pumps, and hand expressed the milk, but honestly prefer that method since learning it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well, try the Playtex Drop In System with the Natural Latch Nipples (brown ones, not clear). I've known three breastfeeding babies who would only take this nipple. Then, just start with a bottle a day (probably 4 oz at 7 weeks)...pick a time of day when your supply is typically the lowest (like last feeding of the day). If baby won't take the bottle from you, have dad or someone else try (my kids didn't care whether it was formula or breast milk in a bottle or in a breast but some babies do). Then you can build up to more feedings a day or just keep it at one. Whatever you do, be consistent and your body will adjust accordingly. If you want to pump (like to freeze it or something) ....just pump right after you give baby the bottle of formula.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I used formula to supplement with my 4th and now my 5th (she's 7 weeks old too). We use the Avent bottles/nipples which is what the lactation consultant suggested. My 4th never had a problem taking a bottle with formula, but we started very early and often with him (I had problems with my supply in the beginning due to severe anemia). My little one takes it, but she prefers the breast and she won't take a bottle from me.
    I only used it to supplement when I wasn't around, or to give myself a break and let dad feed baby - probably one bottle every day or two. Your body will adjust to meet the demand so just decide how often you want to breastfeed/use formula.

Answer by missanc at 4:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would reccommend pumping over formula. You'll have to pump missed feedings anyway. I would be wary of formula and bottles, some peopl can do it without trouble, but the majority will find that every bottle of formula slowly (or quickly) ruins either supply or latch. My advice is to not use formula at all. But if you do I'd go with nature's on baby's only, be strict with limiting how much to just when you are unavailable, wait at least until 3 month growth spurt to be certain your supply and latch are well in hand and you have a breather before the next major spurt, and finally at the first sign of enen an inkling of trouble I would stop all bottles and pacifiers immediately.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I BF too, and give formula once a day. I gave him his first bottle of formula at 3 weeks of age. He took fine to it, and still takes fine to me. He's 3.5 months old now.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would recommend sticking with just breastfeeding. But since that's not what you asked ;)

I pretty much pumped every few hours during the day, and then tried to breastfeed at night but ended up pumping in the morning too. My baby had a heck of a time latching: he wouldn't! Enjoy being able to breastfeed while you can :)
    eeyore530

Answer by eeyore530 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I did the same thing, now grant it was when my LO was 7 months old, but this is what we did. Whenever I was at work he would get a 2-4 oz bottle about every 2 hours, when I was home or with my son I would breast feed him. I stopped pumping at work when he was 6 months and he was just getting what was already stocked up. We never had any problem with him wanting one or the other and eventually because of his biting from teething that we couldn't resolve we stopped breast feeding during the day and eventually at night as he'll sleep longer and better with out anything.
    I would however suggest that you continue with breast feeding till your LO is around 3 or even 4 months. I noticed it took about 3 months for my supply to really even out. It could help with having to deal with less engorgement as well. Either way good luck!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Thank you all so much for the support and advice. Im still unsure as to what I will do as my Hubby is totally against what I want to do...
    motherofpearl3

Comment by motherofpearl3 (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Aug. 29, 2010