bilingual baby ! -- i need some opinions mommies : )

hello mommies : )

i speak Spanish and English , both very well !

and i decided to speak BOTH languages to my 1 year old son , since i thoguth that the sooner he learns them , the better off he will be : )

so , my mom thinks is not a good idea , a pointless one , to be exact , since she says he will learn it in school .... but i cannot picture my son , sitting in the corner of a room , all by himself , feeling rejected, sad, confused because he won't know how to talk to the other children , or even answer him !

whats your intake on this one ?

of course , i told my mom that i am still going to speak to him in both , but i just wanted other opinions as well , as on who do you think is wrong here ! me or my mom ?

she also said that by me playing dvds for him in both language , that he can also learn it that way , in other words , for me to talk only in Spanish for him !

happymom1988

Asked by happymom1988 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I thin kit is a wonderful idea. Kids absorb language so quickly when they are young. My Daughter is 2.5 and just form watching Dora she can count to 13 in Spanish and say many many other words in Spanish. She knows the English words to. I am considering letting her watch full on Spanish Cartoons.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think it's a great idea! The only thing I wouldn't know is if it's a good idea to speak both of them together. It may confuse him. But what would I know I only speak English like the rest of my family. I never got the opportunity to learn another language growing up.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I just took a child development class, so this is from an educational p.o.v.:
    The window for learning a language is in the first years of life. People who learn a language later in life will always have to translate it in their head before being able to understand/respond, but people that learned it from babyhood =) will understand it automatically and not have to translate anything. It is easier to learn multiple languages in the first years of life than it would EVER be. THIS is the time, if you want your child to speak more than one language, to speak to him in the other languages.

When for example, you are going through colors, say rojo and red. Incorporate both terms for the thing you are talking about, all the time.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 4:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I agree with gotta, NOW is the time to speak both languages, not just one. His little brain is a virtual sponge right now, so teach away! What a gift that your little guy will be bilingual! I wish I was.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• When they are this young is the BEST time to teach a second language. The development in their brain primes them for learning languages before age 7

As for your mother... I'd tell her that you've considered her position and thank her for the information, but that you need to do what you think is best for your son.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 5:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My friends and my SIL all took a different approach to the dual language idea. One parent spoke only one language, the other parent, the other language. It worked out well for them.

Either speaking 2 languages or having your SO speak the other language is a great idea. It is never too early to be exposed to a second or even 3rd language.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think it's great! He'll be that much ahead when he starts school. Keep doing it.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think its great! DH cousin son could speak 3 launges (english, spanish and mong) by time he was 3 y/o. His dad spoke english, mom family spoke mong, and uncle spoke spanish to him. For awhile he didn't know when to speak what language. You could ask him something in english and get an answer in mong. So thats something to make sure you teach when to speak what language so he doesn't confused himself or others
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I grew up in a bilingual household (Italian) and my son is also bilingual. My father spoke 5 languages; my mother speaks 3. What a wonderful gift to your child ... GO FOR IT!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My youngest goes to a Spanish immersion school . Later down i line i want him to learn sign language and mandarin.

DACIA79

Answer by DACIA79 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010