How many of you have heard of ACTA?

What do you think? How much do you know about it?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Read the link...that's scary. I'd heard something about it awhile back but at the time I though it was only concerned with stopping people from copying cd's and selling them to others for profit.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You mean like generic drugs? If so, I don't think that will happen. Generic drugs are made FOR the consumer. They allow people to get the medicine needed at a cheaper price. There are laws that require doctors to prescribe generics over brand names (if they are available) because they are cheaper... why would they do this??
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• BUMPED
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I haven't but I have now.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Never heard of it. What exactly is it?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is a proposed plurilateral agreement for the purpose of establishing international standards on intellectual property rights enforcement.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 4:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Just another stupid bill that they are making out to be good when in fact it will harm Americans instead of helping.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• This is the best website I've heard of to explain it. Basically, from what my husband, myself, and everyone we know that has read about it can figure, it's going to be a REALLY bad thing. One thing that I've heard that it's going to make illegal (if it passes) is having music on an MP3 player and/or a computer. Another thing is making it illegal to manufacture, sell, and purchase prescription off brand drugs. It's a big thing about copy write laws and that sort of thing, and it's not just limited to the US. It would probably also make You Tube illegal, etc.

You can also Google it to find out more, I'm sure. This is the website my husband recommended to help break it down and explain it well. He told me about it months ago and he's been reading and researching ever since, so I trust him when he says this is the best place to learn about it.

Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes there are laws in THIS country for that, but this is not a single country thing. They would do it because it means more money is spent for prescription drugs if everyone has to pay for the name brand. I'm pretty sure they're claiming that it's copy write infringement for a company to produce a generic version of a medication.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Also ladies, please bump this if you don't mind so that more people can read about it.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010