does castor oil realy work to induce labor?

Asked by lovingmomma3707 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I recommend against it. It relaxes your bowels which can stimulate labor. But in a lot of cases, you just get painful diarrhea. I had a friend who did this, and she didn't go into labor for another week, put she couldn't go more than 10 feet from a bathroom for about 3 days.

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I was due with my 5th child and I took it at about 5 in the evening went into labor by 10pm and he was born at about 3am.
    So I guess sometimes it does work. Maybe it is just hit and miss!!

Answer by seeshell59 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I agree with the previous post. I tried it myself with my first pregnancy and the only thing it did was make me spend uber time in the bathroom. Baby will come when it's ready!

• WikiAnswers - Does castor oil induce labor
    If you really want to try this remedy to induce your labor, ... What is castor oil good for? Will castor oil induce labor? Does castor oil make you sick? ... -

Answer by vbruno at 2:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My MIL used it twice and helped each time. Your cervix does need to be nice and soft, and probably thinned out a little bit but the contractions from having gastro issues are rumored to mimic and aid the contractions of your uterus. But if your baby isn't ready, it won't work. At the very least, you'll be thoroughly cleaned out if labor starts soon after! I'm thinking of taking it at least to clean out my system because I do NOT want to start pushing other stuff out, lol. TMI.

Answer by aryn12205 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• no it doesn't, and it will make any oil you see make you wanna throw up!! LMAO!!

Answer by dannersmell at 4:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My MIL swears that drinking castor oil put her in labor with my BIL. Personally, I think that babies come when they're ready, and that castor oil just gives you the runs.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• what it does is irritate your bowles to hopefully get your uterus contracting (may also cause complications later)... there are MANY other methods to try.
    drink lots of water
    eat pineapple
    put ur feet up (i like that one :))
    sex (but who wants that right now right?)

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• It can dehydrate you, give you the runs, cause baby to pass meconium, and after all that, still may not induce labor. I advice to let baby decide when they are ready.

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• CASTOR OIL is a VERY VERY bad idea. I know there are still moms that swear by it, but here's the break down of what ti does.

When you drink Castor oil it irritates you bowels causing diarrhea and possibly vomiting which in turn can dehydrate you, which has the potential to induce labor, notice none of this sounds FUN, nor is there a guarantee attached. Being dehydrated while in labor is also not so fun. You'll have to be given IV fluids (2 bags I believe) before you can have any kind of pain meds, and in these cases the re hydration may hault your labor, therefor prolonging it again. IV fluids are typically not optional especially if you are dehydrated!!!!

Answer by misty1_sd at 2:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2008