Can you make Mamwich with Tofu?

how would you do it?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• VEGETARIAN MANWICH

1 lb. tofu, drained & mashed
    2 tbsp. tamari sauce or (soy sauce)
    1/4 c. shredded cheese
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    1/2 c. chopped onions
    1/2 c. chopped celery
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 c. catsup
    2 tsp. vinegar
    2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    2 tsp. salad mustard
    1 tbsp. honey
    1/2 tsp. chili powder

Saute onions, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add tamari (or soy sauce)and "cheese". Add the tofu and cook until browned and crunchy. Add a little more oil as needed.
    Combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring these to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Add tofu, cook another 5 minutes. Serve in burger buns.

MTM

Answer by MTM at 5:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Manwitch? Like the sloppy joe? Of course! Buy the tofu veggie crumbles and use that. I believe its by Morning Star and its in the frozen food section.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I can't see why you couldn't, but I don't know why you would want to! There are some super-easy recipes for sloppy joes out there which don't contain high fructose corn syrup, regular corn syrup, guar gum, xanthan gum and carob bean gum. A quick internet search brought this up for me: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/tofurecipes/r/tofusloppyjoes.htm.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't see why not.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• US soy products are most all round up ready crops..gmo's...heavily sprayed crop. I would try it in organic~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• DO you have to buy the crumbles? Would crumbling it yourself not work? I have no idea I usually cube and pan sear it.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Snobby Joes (from Veganomicon)
    1 cup uncooked lentils
    4 cups water
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium yellow onion, diced small
    1 green pepper, diced small
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 - 3 Tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    8 oz can tomato sauce
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    3 tablespoons maple syrup
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard (wet mustard)
    4 to 6 whole wheat buns
    Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside. About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through. Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld

• That would be interesting! But I don't like Manwich myself. My kids and everyone else in the family eats it. So I cook it a lot on game nights. It makes for an easy meal and I have a sandwich. But I'm not sure if they would eat it if I made it with Tofu!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2010