Formula without Iron?

OK I am so frustrated I have a newborn who is just a little over a month and I mainy breast feed him except for when he is babysat he is fed formula...He does fine switching back and forth but the formula makes him constipated...I was then informed that to much iron could constipate a child. Does anyone know of a formula that doesn't have iron??? I am goin crazy here

vwakin

Asked by vwakin at 1:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Similac makes one with no iron and low iron.
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 1:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• there is no need to withold an important nutrient over an occasional bit ocf constipation. It's more likely its being mixed too strong than it's legitimately causing constiption. you may want to make sure your caregiver isn't being a little too heavy handed in the mixing.this is a case where too much of a good thing is bad. you can also just give him an extra bit of water on the times he's ff
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I would say that its the switching back and forth that is making him have problems. Breast milk is a laxative and formula is not. Personally I would pump if you want to breast feed or give formula. Babies tummys cant handle the constant switch. I think if you just stick to one food he will be fine.

Frogger33

Answer by Frogger33 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I had the same issue with constipation with my son. He was on formula mixed to 28 calories, since he was a preemie. I called the doctor for advice (so do that before you try anything) and he told me to give him an oz of prune juice every morning. And that's what we did until he was off the special formula.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• ask your doc because i have heard its not the iron that causes the constipation and i know iron is crucial for development.
    Anonymous