Is sleep walking a disorder that needs medical attention?

My now 7 year old daughter sleep walks. It started around the age 5. I find her in various spots of the house in the morning. I have resorted to locking her in her room at night in fear of her walking out the front door. When she wakes up she has no idea how she got there. Its just really scary and I am thinking of taking her to a doctor. I would say its about 3-5 times a week.

PargaMOM

Asked by PargaMOM at 1:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i did it too! I still do at 24 when im in a different place. Just keep a high lock on the front/back door so that she can't get out. I tried that a few times too! There is nothing a doctor can really do. And never wake her!! Its very dangerous to wake a sleep walker. I would consider not locking her in her room. God forbid there was a fire or some kind of emergency you would want her to get out if safely.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• my sister did this when she was around that age. its not NORMAL but it does happen theres nothing wrong with them they just have very active dreams!
    Anonymous

• My son is 5 and has done it for two years now... I thought it was normal... He hasnt hurt him self or anyone else...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My husband still does..and now our 5 year old does. I am not sure they can really do anything for sleep walking. Sometimes they can grow out of it..but in my husbands case that didn't happen.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 2:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2008