my niece got kicked off chearleading

My 16 yr old niece was helping the youth cheer, she has been cheering her whole life and knows her stuff. The coach asked her not to come back because she was wearing sport flip flops, the reason she was wearing them is she came from volley ball and she didnt change them, they were in the grass so she did it bare footed. It really hurt her feeling and she left crying do you think it was justified?

greenbeanmoma

Asked by greenbeanmoma at 5:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If wearing proper attire was part of the program and your niece didn't have on the proper attire, yes it was justified. There is a reason certain items are required, it is for the SAFETY of the children. Sorry, the coach was correct. The coach could have suspended her for a certain amount of time but it also depends on what the stated rules are and if your niece had been warned before.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• She was responsible for knowing the rules. If this is a rule that she violated (whatever the reason), then yes, it was justified. And if she "really knows her stuff", she should know about safe footwear for these activities. And certainly should be following the rules when working with younger people.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 5:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well seems extreme for a first offense.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i dont see how that is justified. its like a stupid reason that she got kicked off, i wonder if there is more to the story that she isnt telling you. if not, id say she needs to go to the prinicpal and tell her side of the story, if it is a school cheer team he might have some pull on the matter. i feel bad for her. im sure her feelings are not only hurt but she is embarressed too! poor thing! maybe it is a blessing though, maybe she could branch out into other things she likes.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• not justified at all. There must be more to this story.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well, the other Adult coaches I think felt like she was taking over. But she knew all the knew cheers and they had never evened cheered before. I think it was good of a 16 year old to volunteer her time to help the girls not many would even bother
    greenbeanmoma

Comment by greenbeanmoma (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Not~doing the rules is important and I get making a point and teachable moment...but getting kids to mentor others is way more important~can she appeal? Can she contract with someone to earn back her place? She will make a great President one day or First Lady and I hope she wears what she wants then~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:35 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• She broke a rule, one that exists for safety reasons. There was a consequence for her choice. I applaud the coach.

My daughter is a cheerleader. These girls know what the rules are and why. Cheerleaders who know their stuff don't mess around barefoot in the grass while teaching younger girls how to cheer. What a bad example!
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 5:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I have to agree with tyfry7496 on this..
    If wearing proper attire was part of the program and your niece didn't have on the proper attire, yes it was justified. There is a reason certain items are required, it is for the SAFETY of the children.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 5:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well I would agree with you missinguth if the other coaches weren't wearing flip flops to, there is no way she will go back she is too mad and embarrassed.
    greenbeanmoma

Comment by greenbeanmoma (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010