Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can you sign over rights of your baby to someone without going through an agency or costing them money?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Adoption

Answers (13)
  • I know that it is possible. There is a group on here just for that. There are a lot of mothers there looking for non agency adoptions.
    I hope this helps, and good luck to you.

    Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

  • sure can...go thru the can pick the person, sign them over. The person gets medical coverage for the child until 18, they can get adoption assist (I think the cap income is 90k)....students here relinquish.

    Answer by surfcitymom at 6:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

  • Yeah, through the court. My cousin had a kid young that my aunt took care of for a while. When the kid got sick they wouldn't treat her until my cousin got there. My aunt told my cousin she needed to sign over rights if the kid would continue to live with her. All they paid was a low court cost.

    Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

  • If you are talking about private adoption (not talking about signing over to the State ie: placing your baby through foster care) then, it depends on which State you live in. Some States are agency only States. Some don't require an agency. If your State isn't an 'agency required' State, then, the adoptive parents can just hire a lawyer to do the paperwork. I don't think you can completely get by with spending NO money. The lawyer will cost a minimum of $1,000, plus court filing fees and a home study is needed, which runs around $1,000.

    Answer by hollyanne31 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

  • You have to go through legal hoops to do this, but it doesn't neccisarily have to cost you anything. I know there are ways to do it with just a notary or a lawyer present, so you do not have to go to court. However, it's best that you go to your local City Hall and ask.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

  • I agree with "Jazzlikemraz"

    Answer by Cassandre at 7:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • My DD had her DD adopted by her husband after she had her BF loose his parental rights through the Courts. There was no agency or $ involved per say, and all was leagal and done in a few days.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • You have to go through the courts, otherwise it won't be legal.

    Answer by ambr2006 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • yes, but it would vary by state, and there would be some court costs involved.

    Answer by lovinangels at 12:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • yes, what the first two pp's said.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.