DD got wacked her head on a self while fighting with DS

it's a tiny cut. I was told by the ER when DS busted is head at her age that every head cut needed stitches because they come open so easy and it's such thin skin. It's literally only about a 1/2 cm. It isn't bleeding so bad anymore maybe not at all. Should I take her in now or wait til this evening if it doesn't stop oozing. She is fine and play in the tub. lol. First place you take a bleeding baby right?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Then I would not bring her in.

Times sure have changed! My mom brought my brother to the hospital 35 years ago when he got a gash on his head from a nail sticking out of the wall. The doc just tied his hair together to close the wound and sent them home! His scar is at least an inch long O.o
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Compare it to something for size to give us a good idea how big it is. It is as big around as a pencil eraser...It is as wide as a fork tine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Dang! That is scary! My little sister got hit in the head by the neighbor kid with a garden rake, the heavy metal ones. She came home with blood everywhere! My mom freaked out, rushed her to the ER and it was a tiny little hole. The doc said that head wounds just bleed A LOT!
    Hope your LO feels better soon!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You could just pull it neatly closed with a sterri strip.  If you took her to the ER that is what they are likely to do anyways.   These are available at most drug stores.

Are you sure there is nothing in the cut?

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• no it a little slit about the length of um... a piece of short grain rice. It seems to not even be oozing currently.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• When DS hurt his head 3 years ago it was about a half inch long and wouldn't stop bleeding! looked like a bad horror film in our apt. lol. Where he hit his head they was a fine mist spray of blood on the wall. Scared me to death!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Check to see that the bleeding has slowed or stopped. If it hasn't and is bleeding freely- trip to the E.R. is a YES. If the bleeding has stopped or is a very small amount, clean and bandage. And check for concussion.

I got a nail in the top part of my forhead as a child (bled like you would not believe). Very small hole and all they did was slap a bandaid on it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• As long as she is acting normal and not passing out or vomitting, let it heal itself. Seeing it stopped bleeding, I wouldn't worry about it. If it contiunes to break open, then take her in. Sounds like the ER just wants money.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree if there is no fever, vomiting, or lots of blood & she is acting ok then she is fine. Kids are tougher then the look sometimes.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Today she is perfectly fine minus the not wanting me to comb her hair...understandable. lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2010