Not my child!

Have any of you ever said this? Several years ago I was trying to tell the parent of one of my son's friends that I over heard her son talking to one of the boys at school about what happened at a co ed sleep over the other boy had missed. He was talking about how drunk kids were and about what boy ended up in what girl's sleeping bag and who's s he ended up with I had not let my son go to the party because I do not agree with coed sleepovers. Anyway, this mother insisted that her son wouldn't drink or be messing with a girl, he was just trying to show off for his friends. A few months later he was busted for drugs.
I was actually sad because I had tried to tell her what was going on and she didn't want to listen.
My sister seems to be becoming the same way about her kids. I try to hope that my kids won't do this stuff, but not close my eyes to the fact that they might. What to do!? Now my sis won't listen!!

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• no, I m usually the first person to say "what did he do this time?" in our house it's guilty until proven innocent LOL
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 6:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• All you can do is off er the info in a non confrontational manor and hope she acts like a parent and follows through. We can't make anyone do anything. The best you can do is bring the information you recieved to her attention. What she does with it is her business.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I know several people who are like this. They do not believe their kids do any wrong. They are so niave. They turn their heads the other way and blame it on everyone else involved. I think all you can do is the right thing, which is to tell the parent what their child is doing. If they choose not listen, at least you know that you tried to let them know what was going on.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If someone were to tell me that about John, I would be very upset, & try to figure out what really happend & if he needed help & If it was true, Id beat his butt, & turn him in on the drugs....

If someone says John did _____, Then I check it out. If i catch him lying to me, he is in major trouble, one for lying & two for doing whatever it was.

Hopefully Ive got a long time to worry about the drugs. ((John's only five)) But I know in this age, its not....

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I know that I can't MAKE anyone do anything, but it is frustrating when I hear parents say "Not my kid". I get this a lot as a teacher as well. I wrote a kid up for swearing at me and teh parent insisted I had to provoke their little apple dumpling as he wouldn't behave that way unless he was provoked. I guess asking him to please stop talking and take his seat was too provoking.
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i believe that my kids are capable of anything. my mom taught us to make good choices but we didnt always do so. i wouldnt put anything past my kids that i did as a teen.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• All you can do is share what you know, share your thoughts, but the rest is up to the parent.
    I'm glad that you're not blind to what children are capable of. I am the same way, I know very well what they can and very possibly will do. I hope that my children won't be the statistic that a majority of kids are becoming these days, but there's no saying if they will or not. I can only raise my kids with the knowledge that my parents raised me with, hoping it sinks in like it sank in with me.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Most parents don't like to hear negative stuff about their children, especially from another person. When it comes to things like that, we would rather find out on our own. I know it's hard hearing stuff like that about your own children. But there are some things that parents just have to find out for themselves.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:10 AM on Aug. 29, 2010