Do you think...

Do you think that the value of marriage is what it used to be? I think that people do not take marriage as seriously as they used to because they think "If it doesn't work, I'll get divorced". That is such a bad attitude to have and is so sad, but it's honestly how things seem to be now.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 6:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree - I was so thankful that our engagement period was over 2 years so we could really prepare for the marriage not just the wedding, and we had a great preparation program from a deacon at my church - you can see by the glut of Wedding related shows - Bridezilla etc on the market that I think more people spend more time preparing for the wedding and not the marriage....
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Instant gratification. People get married without thinking it through and give up without thinking it through. It's not that it's valued less, it's that people just don't think that far into the future any more.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Also, women are no longer reliant on men to take care of them, which means women are more able to end their marriages, rather than put up with crap from a bad husband.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think people jump to divorce to quickly. Some marriages I understand should be divorced. but a lot of people do not try to work it out.

Answer by louise2 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• There is no value in anything anymore. Not marriage, no family, not friends, not work, not life in general. Nobody has faith in their own strength anymore. Nobody has strength in the power of love and compassion. Nobody has understanding. Nobody has tolerence. Nobody has any sort of ability to see something from another's point of view. We're all fighting the "Fight" alone, when we should all be standing together and fighting the "Fight" together.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I am not married because I cannot take it seriously and I do not believe it would work for me Because I am selfish and self centered honestly I have no idea if others take it seriously but I don't think it will work for me.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• While my first marriage ended in divorce it was not because I didn't take it seriously. My ex was very abusive towards me and I should have left sooner. While my fiance and I have not "officially" said our vows before God, we still mean them and live by them and have been through better or worse but we are both committed to each other and our family and will keep on truckin it! lol. In our eyes, divorce is NOT an option and something that is never threatened in fights.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It's interesting that you ask this question. This year alone many well known celebrities relationships have been on the rocks. Some even have ended in divorce too. Perhaps there could be some truth to your post.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think there are people nowadays are more focused on a wedding and less focused on a marriage. I think people don't think past the wedding or wedding night, don't consider how much work a marriage actually is.

And I do think that some people value marriage less than we see traditionally, but there have always people who have cheated and so forth. All that matters to me is that my own marriage has value in my eyes and in my husband's eyes. What other people feel about their own marriage is between them and their spouse. Its not my place to tell them they must value their marriage as much as I value mine....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i only can speak for myself and my friends... those of my friends who are married and i take our marriages very seriously and try alot harder than in past relationships. i do appreciate that divorce is no longer taboo... i don't think that anyone should have to be stuck in a marriage where they are truly unhappy and it will not work... cheating, abuse of any kind... these are deal breakers for me. whereas in the past people (women) were expected to put up with that and save face by staying married, it is a good thing that it is more acceptable. that said, people in general are idiots about choices in partners and stay in unhealthy relationships all the time, try to manipulate the other person into staying with him or her, etc. - lots of people end up married who never should have married in the first place - this is where the real problem lies IMO
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2010