Would you feel the same about the NYC Mosque if ...

... if it were built using public funding?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67Q5BW20100827

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If this is to have public funding like "Hospital chapels"... Will Christians be allowed to use the area as a Sunday church? How about Jews on Saturday?

Considering a sizable chunk of the Cordoba Board is intentionally Christian and Jewish, yes.
    _____________

I hope so, this is one thing I would LOVE to be proven wrong on. I would love for this place to really be what Rauf and others claims it to be. But his book,a shit ton of his interviews I have read the transcripts to, his wife's comments, etc. just don't sit right with me. If that makes me a bad person as according to those who disagree with me) than so be it :oP
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I will feel the same way no matter where the funding is coming from because I do not agree with Imam Rauf. If this is to have public funding like "Hospital chapels"... Will Christians be allowed to use the area as a Sunday church? How about Jews on Saturday? Cause hospital chapels (all 5 I have seen) have no religious symbols (ie crosses, stars of david, etc) And anyone who wants to use it can. So Muslims can go into a chapel and pray just as a Christian in a hospital. If this community center will have a Mosque that is paid publicly than the public should be allowed to bring their religions into it. Oh and that means they can't claim religious exemptions either. Cause hospital chapels don't.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It is NOT a "community center" damn people keep trying to dumb it down to 'make it welcomed' it has been very clearly established this is a WORSHIP CENTER FOR PEOPLE OF MUSLIM FAITH...

I don't think the state should have any part of funding anything with religion... as for the hospitals, etc.. with chapels in them...sure help build the hospital, but the people need to put up the $$ for the chapel on their own...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Most hospital chapels that I have been in have been built using donations from private citizens, so that they can get a pretty plaque with their name hanging on the wall. And I would still have a problem with the mosque if it were to be built using public funding. As has been said numerous times already, just because they have the right, doesn't make it right.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I still have a problem with it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yep.. Because the building of a Church and just about any other tax exempt non-profit can qualify for the same "Tax Free Financing".........

"The mosque's backers hope to raise a total of $70 million in tax-exempt debt to build the center, according to the New York Times. Tax laws allow such funding for religiously affiliated non-profits if they can prove the facility will benefit the general public and their religious activities are funded separately."

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Did you know that the Imam will be getting tax dollars to publish his book? http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=38691
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If it is built with public funds, I expect, no, I demand, the separation of church and state people to come screaming out of the wood work to protest that. Changing the designation to a "community center" takes away the imam's to claim "religious freedom" because it is no longer a "church" and can't be used as one. Also, Muslims aren't a race just like Christians, Hindus or Buddhist aren't a race. It is a religion that encompasses many nationalities. For people to use the "race card" shows a complete disregard for the Muslims in other countries besides the Middle Eastern ones.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Actually, I would greatly support the removal of public funding from religiously run hospitals or clinics! It would discourage religiously run hospitals and whatnot from opening and would encourage those with no religious regulations... Personally, I don't want my healthcare in any way affected by the religious beliefs of those who own a hospital - those should be my choices and mine alone!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010