Anyone have 1 kid that whines/complains more than the others?

We're having a bit of financial difficulties right now. It's not the end of the world but we really have to watch how much we spend and have very little for food so we also have to "budget" our food. In other words we're watching our portions and cutting out snacks to make the food last longer.
EVERYONE is hungry but the only one complaining about it is our 10yo. She whines all day long that she's starving like she's the only one not getting snacks and second helpings. We're all hungry, we're all wanting more with each meal but the food just isn't there right now. They still get 3 meals a day.
It doesn't matter what it is she is the only one that whines and complains. The other kids just seem to instinctively understand that there's nothing we can do about the food and whining won't get them more so they don't do it (we have 4 other kids).

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 6:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• my 8 year old is the same way.....same problem. its lasted 6 months or so but thank goodness its finally over. my dhs hours were cut for soooo long! im glad hes back to full time. maybe you could apply for food stamps? dont feel bad if you really need it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I hear you...good you are showing her how the family can deal...I wonder if helping out someone having a harder time of it might shine some light her way....life can cycle from times of plenty to times of near nothing....those miners underground are my heros right now!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• yes my 5 year old lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• it might feel like the end of the world to her...you have to offer more food it seems...a pack of 45 cent tortillas and a bag of 89 cent beans and a smashed tomato. Sell some stuff on craigslist..maybe she would offer to sell some of her stuff for a pizza night?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 6:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No.Mine are all equal opportunity whiners,LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• LOL to kimberlyninberea's answer! But yeah my 17 month old is the QUEEN of whining/tantrums/etc my 4 1/2 year old, shes an angel(most of the time.)
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• This is only a temporary thing and the kids are getting plenty to eat. We've just cut all the portions down to the recommended amounts. It's an adjustment. I know I'm hungry most of the day. It sucks but there's no point to complain since that won't make more food suddenly appear. Eating more now just means less later.
    If it isn't food she's whining about having to do chores like she has more than anyone else or if we are out walking she's whining that her feet hurt even if everyone is tired and we're a few blocks from home. She seems to think the whole world should revolve around her and that her suffering is somehow more than anyone else's. It's very annoying.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'd check out food stamps. She ia a growing child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We don't qualify for food stamps nor would I go on them just because we are having a temporary financial problem. We're just making do for now. We've also had family offer to loan us some money to get by on until things have gotten back to normal.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My daughter is only 10 months right now, but I can definately see that being her. She is definately the princess of the two kids (first child is a boy) and she makes it known when she's unhappy.

All the best to you and your family!! I hope you can find some relief in your financial trouble soon!
    Maybe look into starting your own garden of veggitables and fruits. That can greatly cut back on your grocery bill! Not only for fresh fruits and veggies, but also there are TONS of different sauces, soups, and chilis (Among more foods) you can can and freeze for future use. As stated, that will greatly cut back on your grocery bill and it's soo easy to learn to can and freeze foods.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2010