so, how would I ask then?

Earlier I posted a question asking what myths were favorites. I got only a few answers and not really what I was looking for. Anyhow one person repsonded and was offended that I called them myths

so how should I have asked the question?

I seriously never meant to offend anyone, I was jsut interested in what stories people liked and maybe there would be one I hadn't heard before.

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 6:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have no idea. Because personally, I refer to religious 'tales" (for lack of a better term at the moment right off the top of my head..lol) a myths. The stories in the Bible are myth to me.. As are The Gita, The Ramayana, the Mahabharata , The Guru Granth Sahib, The Koran.... etc.

All are tales of mythology to me personally.

However, to me, that term does not take away of their poignancy, their affect, the good they can serve, or what can be taken learned and shared from them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• There are some schools of thought that no religious "myth" is a myth, but rather a facet of Deity that has become obsolete. Some choose to worship or identify with these mythological gods. I'm sorry that they got nasty with you :( I kind of understand... either all religion is mythology or none of it is, you know? Still, nastiness isn't okay. Maybe she would have preferred you call them stories of the gods?

One of my favorites is the story of Mithra, because it so closely parallells the story of Jesus, which I find very intriguing. It's interesting for sure, check it out :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• keeping in mind all those old myths were once as real to them as the Christian god is today to people today. No reason to figure it won't go the same way for every religion eventually. Here today and real becomes tomorrow's mythology.

btw there was nothing for her to get offended by. If thats what someone feels it is, that's their right. It people like that that make asses of themselves because they just wanna be told what they wanna hear (even if its just getting patronized)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:12 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• *responded, just
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• myths regarding what?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I am very fond of the Norse myths, the stories of Thor and Loki and all that. Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 6:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well, I'm no expert on mythology, but so far my favorites are the old Greek myths. I am also exploring Norse, Egyptian and Celtic mythology as well... But as I know the Greek myths best, those are still my favorites...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

yes :)
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I actually don't know the mithra one, I'll have to check it out
    thanks :)
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Not sure without more info- like what you're calling myths. I wouldn't be too hurt though- people are way "free" online to say things they would not in person.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 6:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2010