Hardwood Floors?

I am looking for some advice from those of you who have HardWood Floors. We built a new house this past year and we paid a lot of money to have true Hardwood floors put throughout the whole house. WE have a 2800 Sq Foot House so it was a lot of HW floor, but our son has horrible allergies and HW is so much better. Anyway, I have tried so many things to clean the floors and I'm just not getting the results I want. I have used Soap and Water on my hands and knees, murphys oil soap, swiffer hardwood, orange glo hardwood and so many other things.
I've read several people talk about steam cleaners. I am just looking for something that is not crazy expensive and is good at cleaning the HW.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 7:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have fifty year old oak hardwood floors. I wash them with a damp soft hardwood floor duster kinda "mop"... its not so much a mop but a soft short-pile big rectangular thing... It's hard to describe. I actually spray the floor with my homemade water/vinegar/borax/lavender oil multi-surface cleaner then give it a few wipes with this mop. A couple times a year I get out the murphy's and I do the floor on my hands & knees.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I use plain water with about 10 drops of lemon or orange essential oil. I use a rag (one of my hubby's old t-shirts, shhh - don't tell him, he doesn't know) to scrub the floor with the water and oil. Then I use an old towel to dry it immediately. Hardwood doesn't like to air dry.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2010