Big-time toddler tantrums.

My 18 mos. old daughter has lately been throwing monster tantrums. It usually occurs when I pull her away from something fun. When I pick her up to leave or whatnot, she will grab onto my hair or whatever and start pulling and clawing. This makes me extremely upset! I remove her from the situation and of course, say no. What else can I do? I can't exactly do time out when we are in public!

danielp

Asked by danielp at 7:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they say the best thing to do is ignore them. my DR said thats just them letting out there anger and frustration and the best thing to do is just ignore them.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Mostly with the fits if you are at home just walk away. Ignore her, she wants your reaction or for you to give in. In public is harder, you can't actually walk away from her, but have you tried the old "Okay, mommy's leaving, bye" and act like your going to leave her. That will usually get the attention of a child and they will come to you and be ready to go. If that doesn't work I guess just carry her out but don't talk to her at, she wants your attention so don't give it.

Good luck.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I do time-outs in public, just sit her on the ground and tell her she's in time-out.

I don't think that will work for her tantrums though. Don't pick her up, tell her to walk. If she throws herself to the ground, let her even if she gets hurt a little (she'll learn from it) and then tell her to stand up and walk again. Explain in a firm voice that its time to go and you're sorry but that's that.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 8:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• you know what helped my son SO much at this age was warnings.. Ok Max, 5 minutes left to play and we have to go - make sure there is eye contact and you know she understands... My son needed more reminders or warnings that others so I went from 15 minutes and every 2 minutes until it was time to go I would say Ok Max, 13 more minutes and we need to leave and give an explanation like we need to go home and eat -if hits and bites still occur don't talk to her, just hold her arms down as you pick her up - she wants the attention at the moment and really, she's just expression emotions she doesn't know how to handle.. doesn't mean it is ok - and once in the stroller or home she can get a time out if its not too far away or you can tell her as you walk to the car that was NOT ok to hit/bite - its hurts and it will NOT be acceptable.. that's just what has helped somedays on my end.. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Get a towel and wrap her arms by her sides so she can't hurt you or herself, and just sit it out. You will be showing her you are in charge while ignoring her.
    It may take a few times and she won't calm easily but talking to, time outs, spankings, ignoring... none of it worked for my DD who is now almost 2. The towel wrap was a last resort when her hitting started having kicks too and it worked.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2010