Tips for how I get my 11 month old off of the bottle and onto a sippy cup?

My Pediatrician said that my Daughter needs to be off of the bottle by 1 year old and onto sippy cups. The only thing is, not only does she not hold her bottle, but she refuses to hold the cup. Any advice or tips as to how I should/can make the transition? Help me! :) New Mom

MamaMereK

Asked by MamaMereK at 2:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get her use to the sippy in the daytime..Just give it to her insteed of a bottle...After a while she wont know the differents

Answer by louise2 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I make the switch quick and painless for my kids one day they wake up and the bottle is just gone so if they are thirsty they have to use the sippy. Of course there is some crying the first day but neither of my older two kids cried past the second day. they just accept it and move on.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 2:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I got a soft spout sippy cup and offered it to Haileigh. I put juice in it b/c it was sweet and took the stopper out so she knew there was something in it. When she started sucking and drinking from it I put the stopper back in. I did that this week trying to get her to drink from a hard spout. It only took me two days to get her to do it.

Do you make her try to hold her bottle? I put Haileigh's hands around them and she eventually picked it up. Does she pick anything else up like food? If she does she will pick up and hold the bottle if she is thirsty. Good Luck!
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 2:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I am trying to do the same thing and my son refuses to hold his own bottle - I have tried putting his hands and it and he gets mad and jerks them away - he's been chewing on the sippy cup since 7 months - we re-introduce it every week but then throws it - he won't drink from it at all, even if i try to hold it for him -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Short answer: Throw all the bottles in the trash.
    BobaFetsHelmet

Answer by BobaFetsHelmet at 4:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2008