Please Help! Advice on getting my 1 yr old to bed at a decent time..

I had him on schedule at first and he got off schedule Now Im tryin to get him back on schedule but he just wont go to bed he lays there and screams so I let him up...Someone please tell me what i can do to get him to go to bed at a decent time .

DavinsMommy922

Asked by DavinsMommy922 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He wants up so he screams. He screams, you let him up. He gets what he wants. Screaming is working for him.
    Stop letting him up when he screams.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 8:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• give him a nice warm bath, that always helps.
    and then just let him roll around and play and watch nick jr. until hes ready for bed.
    i dont really believe in just "letting him scream".
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Put him to bed at a decent time. Just like you said you used to. And as long as screaming gets him what he wants, he'll continue to scream.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• maybe he adjusted his sleep schedule? If it's a big difference than what you're used to, maybe adjust the nap and have a predictable bedtime routine?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• we had a little problem with our little one on vacation when he did that which was not very good to have him screaming when you're in a hotel room - so we made a routine the next night that seemed to help - he crawled around for a half hour, then i put him up on the bed in between my legs and gave him his milk and massaged his back. after he was done with the milk, my husband picked him up and sang to him, and made sure he didn't have a "death grip" on him, then we put him down in the hotel crib and shut off all the lights - he would fuss for a little bit, but at least the screaming stopped. Maybe also try those lavender baths/lotions - they are supposed to be relaxing as well....
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No long naps in the afternoon. Keep him active & he'll be tired & want to go to bed.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 5:14 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• play, then milk with a backrub, some singing, then lights out sounds helpful....when the toddler in my life was younger and lighter i could carry her in my arms and just pace until she fell asleep on me; though i tried that 2nite and it didnt work but i partially blame myself since i wasn't able to pace with her as long since she is bigger now. She's 20 months old and weighs more...i was able to do this with her at like 15 months....
    Lanchas

Answer by Lanchas at 6:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2010