How Do We Feel About Playpens and age?

I never used a playpen with my Son i never felt the urge to he was a pretty good baby.. i have one for going and visiting family over night.. but that is about it.. i have no problem with parents who use them.. but my friend seems to over use here.. first off he child is 2.. is that too old for a playpen.. and she just sits and screams in it for like an hour!! and she would be in there for prolly 2 hours maybe even three? is this normal? for a 2 year old? idk just wondering..

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• idk.... i never used one. but i would think by 2yo they would find a way to get out sooner or later lol. is she putting her in there for punishment or something? i don't think that's right
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No... not normal. they should be running, playing, getting into things, and learning about the world around them.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• And seriously... now does she tolerate the crying. That would drive me nuts. I do have baby gates on both ends of my livingroom which lead to other aread of the house. But the livingroom itself is a big baby safe room. TV is wall mounted, cords contained, toys and beanbags in one corner, everything not kid friendly is put up or not in there.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My oldest never used one, my youngest has been in one a couple times, when we were outside and he would nap in it. Hes eight months now and like to join us in the grass. I think he only used it four times. Lucky for me it was a gift so I didn't lose money when it wasn't used. And yes I think its ridiculous for it to be used to 'babysit' your child. I also think two is too old to use one. But thats just me. I could see a mother with three of four kids putting a two year old in it for a few minutes to get something done faster.. okay. lol
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We used one for a bassinet/bed and slightly for time-outs but it was never like that.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 8:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• When my children were little, I used a playpen on a daily basis. You can put a child in there, and put it where you can watch from the doorway, and you can take a shower. You can do the same thing while you cook dinner or do any number of other chores. I had a lot to do when my children were small, and so I used a playpen. It was much larger than the ones I see today, but they had toys and they were in the same room as me. I talked to them, and they were not neglected. My children are all grown today, and they are all quite well adjusted, so I don't think the fact they were confined for some time just about every day warped them in any way.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• no she uses hers everyday for hours and she doesn't care if he kids cry.. she will even feed her in the playpen like hand he a lil bowl of cereal or something.. and she does it when she is like doing dishes or cooking but even when she is just sitting down n watching tv, so there really isnt a reason for it
    SammiGirl07

Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• we use our pack and play primarily now for his crib when we're travelling - when he was younger I would put him in there with some toys so I could get some housework done in the room and that way I knew where he was. I guess to each their own...
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• deffinetely not! I only use my pack n play for when we are over at my df's parents and we are playing outside because my 1yr old likes to eat grass, and they dont clean up dog poop. or if their house is a mess, usually, because my 1yr old loves to shove stuff in her mouth. My 2 yr old has never been in one though!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think two is just too old. my daughter is one and she hates being in hers she would rather run around and play. it is mostly used for sleep overs now at family or friends houses.
    xcutxupxlovex24

Answer by xcutxupxlovex24 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2010