Would you ever assume...?

Another post about a woman being asked if her kids had the same Daddy reminded me of an incident that happened to my sister one time.
My sister was at a resturant with her (now ex) husband and their two children They girls were about 4 and 2 at the time. Both of their children look like their dad, but they both have red hair. My sis and BIL both have dark brown hair. Everyone admits that the kids really do not resemble my sis at all. In fact, we often comment that if she hadn't given birth, we would wonder if she were their mother.
A waitress at the resturaunt said to my BIL "What pretty red hair your girls have, do they get it from their mother?"
My sister looked at her and stated "Does it LOOK like I have red hair?"
Boy did the waitress stammer on that one!!
Would you ever comment about this?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Entertainment

• lol.
    i might assume in my head but i would never make a comment like that to someone i didnt know.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i don't ever comment on how kids look..... i don't even assume that they're with their parents unless i hear them call them mom or dad, etc. i would have been embarassed alot bc i assumed some women were the grandma and i heard the kid calling them mom. wow i would have felt so mean if i made a comment about her 'grandkids'.... glad i keep my mouth shut lmao.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't say anything unless I think that I am 100% sure. I've been told how much my girls look like their daddy when my boyfriend is only the father to my 5 months old son! lol
    We didn't say anything.... but man was I like, "What a dummy!"
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would never say anything like that, I bet she felt the fool. Kids get their traits from both sides of their families, sometimes very deep in their roots, so I would never assume anything.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i would never comment on that or even assume that the adult that is with them is one of their parents
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• when i would go out with my daughter and sister-in-law, people would always tell her how much my daughter looked like her (thinking that she was her mom)
    I was fine with it- never got upset. I thought it ws funny and she DID look more like hers!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would just ask if where the red came from (like if a grandparent had red hair), if I said anything at all. Usually with stuff like that, I just say something like, "Aw you girls are so cute! I think red hair is really pretty."

One time I was at a restaurant with my aunt and her husband (he had red hair when he was a kid), and this person in his family that hadn't seen my uncle since high school comes over and asked if I was his daughter (because I dyed my hair red). Neither of them ever wanted kids, so they kind of freaked out over that lol. I don't think I stopped laughing until we got back home.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't assume. I had too many people assume my sister was my daughter (I was 17 when she was born and I looked younger). Most of them were comments on what a young mom I was, did I finish school, did I know who the father was. Then I had Kyra a ywar after being married and when Faith was 4. I'd take them out together and get more comments like do they have the same dad, they look nothing alike (brown hair and eyes, blond and blue eyed), how I teach them a bad lesson sleeping around. So no, I don't assume ANYTHING :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My sil is white with very pale skin and her husband is Latino. So of course their babies have dark hair and dark skin. So the lady at the grocery store asked my sil with the baby was little "and where did you adopt this cutie from?" she said my belly. LOL>
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Ha! That waitress crossed the line. I would never do that to someone else because it gets done to me all the time. Dh is white and I gotta tell you, "The force is strong with that one". None of our kids are dark-ish. I mean they dont even look like they have a tan. Anyway when DS was about 2 years old, A lady in target grabbed his hand and asked him where his mom was. Said, "Lets find someone to help you find your mom."... I said, "Hey! You wanna let go of my kid??" This woman had the NERVE to look back at my son and ask him, "Is this really your mom?" .... Needless to say it took Dh and several target employees to get me out of the store.

People can think what they want, but majority of the time, saying that stuff out loud is a BIG NO NO
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2010