How much formula?

I have never formula fed before, so im new to this..okay..so ive heard you dont "on demand" feed a formula fed baby...correct? also my daughter is about 5 pounds and 13 ouces..so almost 6 pounds now im thinking 2-3oz is enough for her, how much did your little one eat at this weight/age?(she's 3 weeks old). she is small due to the fact that she is a twin:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try making 2-4 at a time and if she eats all of that just continue to make 2 oz until she's done
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• my daughter was a little bigger (6lbs 12oz) and i did not force her to eat. my husband and I nelieve that when the baby is hungry they will let you know. When she was first born she would only eat 2oz at a time until she was about a month old then she started eating 3oz
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• at 3wks my son was eating 4oz every 3-4hrs. my dd was eating 2-3oz every 3hrs.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• When my twins were babies, we made 4oz bottles and let them eat as much as they wanted, but not more than the 4oz every four hours. We did that until they finished faster and still seemed hungry. Then we increased to six ounces and did it all over again.
    Leighanne118

Answer by Leighanne118 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• there is actually an mathmatical equation to this....I'm just not sure what it is.... sorry but babies are supposed to have a certain amount of formula per pound that they are over the course of 24 hrs. I found it once when I google searched it. Try finding that is could be very helpful so you know shes getting enough. but remember when she's having growth spurts she may want to eat more....give it to her she's gonna need it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Why would you not feed on demand? Start with 2oz on demand, prop her up high so the bottle is almost level, so when she's had enough she can push the bottle out instead of having the weight of it pushing into her mouth. But do NOT ever put a tiny little young baby on a feeding schedule, unless they're a preemie and have to be almost force fed to gain weight. A healthy baby needs to be fed when they are hungry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010