the vet says my cat needs to get all his back teeth pulled out :(

we just got him in may (he's a old man....8yo we adopted from a shelter). he's really sweet and huge lol. i noticed that he had some black gunk around his mouth and then when i cleaned it off his mouth looked inflamed. that was yesterday. i took him to the vet today and she said he has a condition that causes his gums to over-react to tartar/plaque and the best way to treat that is to get his back teeth pulled out. now i have to take the poor guy to a specialist to see about that. it sounds expensive to me.... anyone have to get this done for their kitty? i hope it won't take him a long time to recover bc he is pretty old. she said that they don't really chew their food (even dry food which is the only food his tummy will tolerate). i'm just nervous about the whole thing i guess

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Pets

• We had to do it with my kitty from childhood. He was about 10. He lived 8 more years. It was about $200 back then. I have know idea what it would be now. Our kitty tolerated very well. In fact, he seemed so happy on the second day. I think he was in pain and we din't realize it because it happened slowly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• o thanks grneyedgrandma.... that makes me feel better :)
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I've not had to have teeth removed on any animal, but as I groom alot of older pets I have seen it done.They usually recover quite quickly and tend to become alot more active again. Same as with people when we have an abcessed tooth we don't feel like doing much and eating becomes rather painful. As far as whether they really chew or not, well I watch my cats eat and they do tend to do sort of a quick 1-2 bite swallow thing, and they only eat dry food.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 9:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• he will be fine
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• aww sweetie hugs x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• ((HUGS)) to you and your cat! My friend went through this with her cat just last fall. He had a lot of molars pulled under general anasthesia- they were decaying and some were painful and abscessed. He recovered really quickly and seems a lot happier since having it done. He is about ten years old now, so around nine when he had the teeth removed. One of our dogs had a few teeth removed as well- she had a lot of tartar build up and had to be put under to have her teeth thoroughly cleaned- while she was out they removed two or three teeth that were in really bad shape. She also recovered really well and was back on her dry food really quickly- she was about twelve years old when she had hers done.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010