How do I get rid of indoor gnats?

These things are annoying the crap out of me. I don't know how we got them but I can't get rid of them.

jflowers

Asked by jflowers at 2:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I don't have any fruit on my counters so It can't be fruit. They are around my sink. I tried the cider vinegar but it didn't do much of anything. After washing my dishes I left the water in the sink. When I went back all the gnats were floating in the water. haha I still have a few flying around but the sink full of water did more than the cider vinegar.
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 6:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• have any houseplants indoors?
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• yes I have 2 ivy plants
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 2:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• they are probably nesting in there. especially if the soil is moist. IF you can catch one, you can take it to your county extension office and they can identify it for you.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 3:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• OK How do I get rid of them?
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 4:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• you have to figure out where they are coming from first. if it's the soil, you need to put it outside to dry up and then water it from the bottom. if it s from your trash or a fruit bowl, you need to care for it from there, kwim..
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Thanks!! I will set them out tomorrow to dry up and see if they leave with it. LOL
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 9:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• They are coming from fruit. Set a bowl of cider vinegar on your kitchen cabinet. They'll be attracted to it, fall in and die!
    Sarvin4

Answer by Sarvin4 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• ooh cider vinegar! I need to do that!
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 12:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2008