how long can a person stay in a group home?

my brother is 19 yrs old and lives in a group home (he is a schitzophrenic) My mom asked when will he be released to go home and she was told that they were going to keep him indefinatley. Im assuming thats for life? Right? :/ ( I dont know if they mean til he is 21 or what. ) And they will continue to put in waivers to keep him. Is this possible or right. If this is true how can they determine that they need to keep a person if he is stable enough to live at home. Any advice or comment is appreciated ☺

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• It depends on why he was put in one in the 1st place. Was it by a judge,doctor,family,or did he put himself in?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• it depends on what the group home is for, but from what you described, it will be until they are independant enough to move out. my neighbor ran a group home for mentally handicapped people and they were all old, so i guess it could be forever if you want.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• The word indefinatley does seem for life but you really need to ask what does it means. Here is a group that might help. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It all depends on the conditions in which he was placed in the home.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• my brother is 19 yrs old and lives in a group home (he is a schitzophrenic)...

If he's stable enough to live at home and the facility where he's living in wants him to stay indefinitely...then get a second opinion on his condition...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010