When Can They Start Wearing "Big Kid" Shoes?

My son's been wearing Robeez for months now and has been walking for a month. When we go to the park, the soft soles are getting ruined by water and sand. When is a good rule of thumb to begin the hard soled ones?

babyjakesmama

Asked by babyjakesmama at 2:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say when they get the hang of walking..
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 2:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Anytime. My daughter was 6 months old when i bought her her first pair of reebok classics. Just stay away from the ones with laces or youll be tying all day!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I try to keep my 15m DD barefoot or in softer shoes as much as possible. Ped told me that it will help her feet develop better. But when we go for walks on the sidewalk or to the park, she wears big girl shoes.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i never got my son soft soled shoes he was bare foot all the time until he was 15 months old... and he needed snow boots on... now he wants shoes on when he goes out side, and no shoes indoors!!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 3:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Once he gets a good hold of walking, he can wear harder soled shoes. It took forever for my son to get used to shoes, once he started walking. He started at 11 months and has been running ever since. Now he loves wearing shoes. He keeps trying to make me put his shoes on at home. He is kept barefoot while he is indoors. If your child is outside, the harder soled shoes are safer. If he steps on a sharp rock or piece of glass, it won't pierce the shoe or his foot as easily.
    Davidsmom040907

Answer by Davidsmom040907 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Anytime - just make sure you get ones with flexible soles. Lots of the kids shoes out there are as hard as a 2x4. When you pick up the shoe, try to bend the toe of the shoe. From what I've seen, Target's baby shoes, Keds, and Stride Rite are pretty good.

Also, keep him barefoot or in the soft shoes inside.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• General rule of thumb - until they are walking really well, inside use soft soles so they can feel the floor. Outside, if they could walk on rocks, glass etc that could harm them, get "big kid" shoes to protect their feet. That's according to my pediatrician. My son started walking at 10 1/2 mos and we bought his first big boy shoes about 2 months later.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008