Care package questions (Army)

My cousin just deployed to Afghanistan and I'm wanting to send him some care packages as soon as he can receive mail (After Sept. 10th). What are the rules for sending them? What's not allowed and are their size restrictions? I'm not going to send a huge box or anything but I just don't know the rules. He left before I got a chance to find out and I don't talk to my aunt much because we live in different states..
Any help will be appreciated!

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I adopted a group in the passed...at the post office they sell a box that you can fill to the max for one low rate- I can't rem. how much though. I think you can send anything except liquids and of course hazardous material? I always send candy, snacks, cross word puzles, toothpaste, bar soap and sometimes socks or t-shirts.
    CoolMommyofboys

Answer by CoolMommyofboys at 9:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• CoolMommy basically took the words out of my mouth. Using those flat rate boxes is the way to go. I would go buy the box ahead of time and just pack it until you can't pack it anymore! Snacks are always a good way to go because it isnt that easy for them to get ahold of that kind of stuff over there depending on what location they are in. Def dont send anything that will melt because its hotter than heck over there and the box will take a little while to get to your soldier. Phone cards and hygiene products are other suggestions I have.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Thanks. I'll look into that! And thanks for the extra ideas!

Anyone else... ?? I'll take more ideas on what to put in also... :)
    Megs5384

Comment by Megs5384 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No porn, no alcohol, I think those were the only 2 things not allowed when my brother was in Iraq. We always used the flat-rate boxes - bro had access to a microwave, coffeemaker, all kinds of stuff, so I sent him a can opener and would send him cans of fruit, spaghettios, soups, Betty Crocker warm delights, Easy Mac, small tuna packets for his easy mac, we'd bake bars/cookies and package them in the food saver packaging (sucks all the air out, keeps stuff really fresh, he said it all tasted like it had just been baked the day before), not much candy because he's not a candy fan, pictures my kids drew, letters, puzzle books, deoderant, magazines (my mom did send him SI's swimsuit issue), DVDs (he had his laptop there), drink mixes (hot chocolate, kool-aid, things like that), his then-gf sent him cigarettes (he smoked before he went), all kinds of stuff - if you need more ideas PM me, we send stuff to quite a few soldiers!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Actually, they have FREE boxes (called APO/FPO Flat Rate Box) at the post office that you can completely stuff full of items and it is still a flat rate approx. $12.50 so you don't have to worry about weight costing extra . You will also need to complete a Customs Form 2976A. Attached is a link that will tell you how to fill it out box by box. I followed the directions and I was able to send boxes without a problem. It took about 2 weeks from shipment date for our friend to get it.

http://www.skipcares.org/Tips/customsform.html   (click on new form and it gives detailed info)

I found the below site helpful in knowing what is acceptable and not (and it gave some good ideas of what to send).

http://www.give2thetroops.org/items.htm

7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 11:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010