Is is ok to give formula during the day and breastfeed at night or vise versa?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can do whatever you want :) I would suggest the formula at night because its a little more filling!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yes its OK, but one thing to be aware of (and your lactation lady from the hospital should have gone over this with you) is "nipple confusion". The baby will latch on differently to a bottle than they will your nipple, and switching back and forth too early can cause problems with them being able to latch on to either, so make sure you have a bottle with a nipple as similar to yours as you can.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I plan on doing the same thing. And I found that the soothie nipples with the first years bottles work great! My baby does not get confused and they are made from the same material as the binkies they give you at the hospital, the soothie binkies. They also have the VentAire bottles, the wide kind, that have a nipple that is like a mothers.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 2:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• When my babies started taking formula I would let them take it during the day and BF at night. This always worked best for me because it would relax both baby and me and It gave us some nice quiet time to spend together. That and I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night half asleep and attempt to make a bottle.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 2:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• your milk supply will go down if you do not continue putting baby to breast. You can pump which will help, but it won't keep your supply at the same level as if you were ebf.
    emmyjosmommy

Answer by emmyjosmommy at 3:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Your breastmilk will start to dry up if you give formula. But do what's right for you.
    BobaFetsHelmet

Answer by BobaFetsHelmet at 4:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2008