How much sleep does a 4yo need in a day?

My son sleeps ALL day if I let him. But I'm wondering if he actually needs that much sleep... I make him get up by noon, but I've been thinking I should just let him sleep... How many hours should he be getting? I asked his doctor but she just said "there's in so set time, it's he's tired he'll sleep."

I tried to look it up online, but can't find it... Can anyone help?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He sleeps til noon?? Holy cow! My son at 4 slept about 9 hrs at night and didn't nap anymore.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• What time does this child go to bed. I think he is practicing for when he is a teen.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I teach a pre-k class, and we are required to by state regulations to only allow 3 hours of maximum sleep time during the day. Our set nap time is noon - 2 pm, but if I know a kiddo didn't get a whole lot of sleep the night before or isn't feeling so well, I'll let them sleep a little longer but never to the 3 hour max time. Some of my kiddo's moms have expressed that they don't like nap time because it makes for a harder bedtime at night! But like snowflakes, no 2 kiddos are alike! lol If you plan on putting him in school next year, I'd talk with someone from the school and find out what their schedule is so you can start to get him on it now. It will make for an easy transition.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 9:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• He's usually in bed around 11 or so. He doesn't nap but he does have "rest time" in the afternoon when his brother naps. But I still think 11-13 hours of sleep is a LOT!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I guess what I'm asking is how many hours in a 24 hour period, not really during the day.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• 12 hours of sleep is absolutly normal for a child his age....you should try sending him to bed a little earlier to he doesnt sleep the day away. My mom always says to me 'children grow when they sleep' and he's a growing boy. ( my 10 year old stil gets about 11-12 hours of sleep every night.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• On average, 12.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• wow do I have the extreme opposite.. 12-14 hours for this age is average... my son sleeps a total of 8-9 hours and he's turning 3 in Nov.. I swear the child HATES sleep...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Nah not really. Most of my students' bedtimes are around 8 pm, and it seems most of them get up between 6-7 am. It seems normal, especially if he doesn't nap. If you were to put him to bed early, his wake up time may seem a bit more "normal."
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 10:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Okay, that's what I needed to know... I don't mind him sleeping til noon, I don't get out of bed til 10 myself... But I wanted to make sure he wasn't over sleeping by a lot of time or something else.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2010